Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I 've been trying to install this driver for over a month and none of the suggestions work or I am doing something else wrong. I may have found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nvidia driver revisited

Ok, I 've been trying to install this driver for over a month and none of the suggestions work or I am doing something else wrong. I may have found another problem; yast can't install the nvidia patch. Is this the first step of the install or do I download the driver and install it in init 3? When I download the driver and try to install it , it can't find the kernel source files and wants to recompile the kernel.

Linux User
    If you got to the part where it can't find the kernel sources, you're almost there!

Go back to runlevel 3, make sure you're root, and now run the installer.

Run the installer like this as root:
    Code:
    # sh NVIDIA-Linux-installername.run --kernel-source-path=/path/to/kernel/source
    And replace /path/to/kernel/source with the actual path to the kernel source.

I *believe* the correct way to find your kernel, is to use this command
    Code:
    $ find / -name "linux-`uname -r`" 2>/dev/null
    If that doesn't work, try
    Code:
    $ find / -name kernel.h 2>/dev/null
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    I can't seem to find the kernel source files. I tried ls -al/usr/src in the bash shell on KDE but it didn't show any source files. I also tried rpm -qa|grep kernel in root from the command line but the console just froze. YOU has a problem with the patch path when I download the update and I abort that patch during the update. Is this my real problem all along? If it is, how do I fix it?