Find the answer to your Linux question:
My system, Win XP Pro, ADM Athlon 64, 3200+@ 2.02ghz, 2 g's of ram, 3 hds 2 have windows and one has Suse on a FAT32 format. I burned the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

From Ubuntu to Suse, and still Grub problems

My system, Win XP Pro, ADM Athlon 64, 3200+@ 2.02ghz, 2 g's of ram, 3 hds 2 have windows and one has Suse on a FAT32 format. I burned the ISO and SUSE 10.3 checked the cd, md5, and all is right in the Linux world until the grub error came up. I lost my mbr several times when I had the same problem with installing Fluxbuntu, Ubunto, Mint, and three other flavors with the same result, Grub errors. I kept reading the NuBee postings, and going to different web pages to understand the "importance of loaders", and trust me I am getting a "crash coarse" in Linux. I've also read how easy it is to set up grub, funny..., I guess I missed that paragraph. I know that I may start getting sarcastic pretty soon, and pardon me if I do. I've been at it for a few days between work and sleep, and I am really looking forward to actually getting my fingers dirty in a Lucius Linux distro, hopefully soon. I would like to try something other than Vista. So, a small note, I'm a slow type. So if I do not respond quickly, who ever reads this post, you'll know why. = ) Thanks.

Could you post GRUB Error number or message?
    Boot up from Ubuntu CD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the info I'll do that tomorrow after work. It's 12:15 am for me and I need to be at work by 6am, I'll post when I get back from work, thanks again.

Just Joined!
    OK, well there is a lot of info that came up using the terminal with sudo. Whats common practice for some is definitely a challenge for others. After sudo -i, I wrote down the info because an issue with Hal and couldn't save it to a windows hd to transfer here, so I'll try to leave our redundancy's. And the error with grub was 23, error while parsing numbers.

So as not to take up so much time what parts of fdisk info should I post?

Post first and last column of the output.
    e.g.
    Code:
    /dev/sda1         Linux

Just Joined!
    There's alot of info, I left out heads, cylinders, identifiers;

disk/dev/hda 80gb
    /dev/hda1 hpfs/ntfs

disk/dev/hda 40gb
    /dev/hdb1 hpfs/ntfs

disk/dev/hda 33.8gb
    /dev/hdd1 linux swap/soleris
    /dev/hdd2 linux
    /dev/hdd3 linux

disk/dev/sda 203.9 gb
    /dev/sda1 hpfs/ntfs

Un-plug Linux HD. Does Windows OS boot up?

Just Joined!
    After loosing my system32 file for XP, on my 1st hd while trying to load suse, and loosing my families files, music, games, I went back to Fluxbuntu and installed it on the corrupted hd, and grub finally installed. Seems that ALMOST LIKE WINDOWS, linux wanted to be ON THE FIRST HD or it wouldn't work without making some adjustments to files, which I wouldn't quite know where to start. Suse is working, an so is Flux but I'm planning to take it out due to its lack of programs, the problem will be that when I uninstall it, there goes grub. So I'll end up going back to Widows. I also got my internet to work, says that I'm sending unencripted, that's my luck. Well I need to get XP back because no one in my family, other than myself knows how to use linux, and as you know I STILL DON'T!

Linux is not like Windows in any way. You can install Linux in any type of partition in any HD. There are a few BIOS/GRUB compatibility problems but those can be solved easily.

Just Joined!
    So if I uninstall Fluxbuntu, that will take out grub, is this correct? Because that's when grub got installed, which also means that Suse will not boot because "IT" could not install grub, and "IS" the reason that I lost "ALL" my files on XP.