Find the answer to your Linux question:
I upgraded to 10.3 And it is making me MAD The complaint that I'm going to focus on in this thread is the fact that I can only get Link ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

links only work on desktop

I upgraded to 10.3
    And it is making me MAD

The complaint that I'm going to focus on in this thread is the fact that I can only get Link to Application, Link to Location (URL), and Link to Device to work on the desktop.

When I try and run any of those links from anywhere else I get the following message:

There appears to be a configuration error. You have associated Konqueror with application/x-desktop, but cannot handle this type.

any ideas on how to fix this?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Did you use the ln command to create the link or just used Gnome/KDE to right click and create it? In the latter case you will only be able to launch the links using Nautilus (for Gnome) and Konqueror (for KDE).
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    I made the link using the right click method. However, the problem is that the link does not work if I try to run it from a Konqueror window.

It only works if I try to run it from the desktop.

This is just the tip of the ice burg when it comes to odd glitches. I'm thinking that something when wrong in the installation. For example, when I try and watch a video, in xine or real, the player must be on the right side of the screen for it to play. If the player is on the left side, I just get a blue screen. When I have time, I think I'm going to reinstall. And if that does not work, I'm going back to 10.2

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT View Post
    It only works if I try to run it from the desktop.
    Please clarify what you mean by running from desktop. What I get is that the link is placed on the desktop and you double click on it. It also seems that you are doing this under KDE. If using some other window manager then please correct me.

Please let me know if the above information is correct or correct it if I got it wrong.

As for your other problem, at this moment it seems to be unrelated to this one. As of me, I have never heard of this before. I have been using OpenSuSE 10.3 for quite sometime and did not find this problem.

Before you revert to 10.2 let me suggest you to wait if someone can come up with a solution here (you see we take sometime to get basic information out of you and then try to relate it to the problems we have seen before) or else try a "reinstall" (and NOT upgrade) of 10.3

Good Luck!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page