Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello again... I recently bought a USB hard drive enclosure and would like us it with an old hard drive as a mobile storage device. I have already formated the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating an external Hard Drive

Hello again...
    I recently bought a USB hard drive enclosure and would like us it with an old hard drive as a mobile storage device. I have already formated the drive with the ext3 filesystem but I still need a little help.

1.How do I ensure that all users/PCs will have read/write permissions (currently owed by root).
    2.I want to rename it so that I recognize it quickly. I renamed it while in root but the name did not carry threw when I logged on as myself.
    3.Any other help tips/trick would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    Hello again...
    I recently bought a USB hard drive enclosure and would like us it with an old hard drive as a mobile storage device. I have already formated the drive with the ext3 filesystem but I still need a little help.

1.How do I ensure that all users/PCs will have read/write permissions (currently owed by root).
    chmod -R 777 <usb drive>

the '-R' is just in case there are any subdirs on it already.

2.I want to rename it so that I recognize it quickly. I renamed it while in root but the name did not carry threw when I logged on as myself.
    Not sure I understand what you mean here.
    What did you rename it to and how?
    What does it show up as when you are logged in as a normal user?

3.Any other help tips/trick would be appreciated.
    I might have formatted it as FAT that way it could be used by windows machines also.
    Never know when you might just want/need to hookup to one of them there machines.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted