Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry if this seems like a rather daft question, but Iíve (only today) noticed that there is a downloadable ISO of SuSE 9.1 Personal on the SuSE website. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suse 9.1 Personnal - Free ISO download

Sorry if this seems like a rather daft question, but Iíve (only today) noticed that there is a downloadable ISO of SuSE 9.1 Personal on the SuSE website.

I was wondering, would I be able install and run this distro next to my already installed WinXP + SuSE 8.2 pro, or will I need to remove SuSE 8.2 before being to install this?

Another thing, how much of the full OS is likely to be removed from this free ISO? Will I still be allowed to install other apps (firefox, OpenOffice.org, Gaim etc) via either RPM/Source?
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Newbie
    if you give suse 9.0 its own partition it can run next to all of those os's. and, as far as i know, suse only deleted propietary content from the free iso download. so most of the content is still there, so you will still be able to install rpms, and whatever else you what. you will probably not even know the absence of the programs they removed.

that, or you could just update the 8.2 to 9.1, you wont lose any of you programs or files that are already installed (unless they are stored in system folders) While i would recommend a backup of your critical data, i have upgraded distros several times and never lost data. I have had problems with programs compiled for an older distro running on the newer one, but nothign mainstream. Dont worry about not having the programs that you need in the free verison, thats the point of open source, the only thing that you will really lose is the documentation and the tech support. (both of witch are in aboundance online...for free)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Thanks for your replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    that, or you could just update the 8.2 to 9.1...
    When you say update 8.2 to 9.1 do you mean simply install 9.1 into the / partition of 8.2 (without formating the 8.2 partition of course)?
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

when you boot from the 9.1 disk, it should see the 8.2 partion and offer to perform an update or complete install. Choose update, and all your data and 90% of your conf will stay the same, just newer verisons of some programs, and a new kernal
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333