Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im a newb in linux, and was installing vmware on suse10.1 when this came up: WARNING: VMware Server has been configured to run on a port different from the default ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post gcc installation on suse10.1

Im a newb in linux, and was installing vmware on suse10.1 when this came up:

WARNING: VMware Server has been configured to run on a port different from the
    default port. Remember to use this port when connecting to this server.
    Shutting down xinetd: done
    Starting INET services. (xinetd) done
    Configuring the VMware VmPerl Scripting API.

Building the VMware VmPerl Scripting API.

Unable to find the compiler specified in the CC environnment variable:
    "/usr/gcc-3.4".

Setup is unable to find the "gcc" program on your machine. Please make sure it
    is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?
    [yes]
    It means that i need to install gcc. Where do i get it and how do i install it? Someone who is conversant with suse10.1 kindly assist me. I have taken 2 days trying this out without success.
    Thanx
    Last edited by devils casper; 12-17-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Email ID removed.

First of all - take your e-mail address out of your post !

I strongly recommend you use YAST to install software and add the relevant repositories - check out the link Package Repositories - openSUSE

You will also need to install the kernel source, via Yast also. Neither gcc or the kernel-source are installed by default.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You will also need to install the kernel source, via Yast also. Neither gcc or the kernel-source are installed by default.
    Thanks alot Gogalthorp for your assistance. Im gonna do that, but one more question. As i said ealier, iam new to linux and i even dont know how to do that via Yast. I mean what are the steps or procedure i should follow to do that to the end?

Just Joined!

Post gcc

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    First of all - take your e-mail address out of your post !

I strongly recommend you use YAST to install software and add the relevant repositories - check out the link Package Repositories - openSUSE
    Thanks for your concern sir, but how do i go about that? iam new to linux. Kindly give me the steps to the end.

Step by step.

YAST-Software-Software Mangement

type gcc into the search select the gcc compiler

type kernel-source into the search

select the kernel search

press accept

follow any instructions.

If you have not already done it (option on install)

Set up a repository for your base install

Yast-Software-online update configure

here is how to add other repositories
    Repositories/10.1 - openSUSE-Community

Here is how to setup media

Hacking SUSE Linux 10.1 - The Jem Report

Just Joined!

Post gcc

Man!! it worked. Thanks alot. i checked with this command: which gcc in the command line and it gave me an answer- /usr/bin/gcc. But one more thing. I need to invoke the vmware because i went ahead and installed it without gcc. Now though i use it, there is no sound in the guest XP, it does not detect my TV card,it can detect my flash disk, and it dispalys a msg - You do not have vmware tools installed. How do i go about that? I also would wish to make it a full screen.

Sorry for many questions.

Thanks in advance.

The installer invokes the gcc, there is nothing you need to do but have it available.

Follow the instruction to install tools from the VMware web site. You can down load the manuals in PDF form.

It may or may not see various pieces of hardware like a TV card. Also do not expect to run 3D graphics. Graphic acceleration is not supported.

Are you running 64bit Suse? if so there could be problem with the sound VMware use the old OSS sound interface instead of the newer ALSA interface. At best the sound is flaky if something else is using the sound card the OSS interface is blocked. Be sure you tell it to use the sound card in the configuration. You should see a little speker in the left bottom corner. If it has a slash trough it it ma not be enabled. Right click to enable/disable.