Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm a new Linux User and I choose to install SuSE linux 9.2 along with Windows XP. I was able to configure my network without much problems. I wanted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can't install apt for SuSE 9.2

Hi!
    I'm a new Linux User and I choose to install SuSE linux 9.2 along with Windows XP. I was able to configure my network without much problems.
    I wanted to install VLC and ndiswrapper to be able to use my wireless card.
    Unfortunately, I was faced with two problems:
    1- I can't add most of the repository list to Yast for Update or download, though I'm able to download the RPMs manually. I don't know what is the problem or if I misconfigured some part of my network.
    2-Because of that I tried to download and install the apt for SuSE in order to help me download the necessary packages and library to run the program.Unfortunately, it keeps on asking for libraries and when I install it, Yast shows some dependencies problems and ask me to downgrade or delete the library.
    I went on like this till my kernel became unstable and I have to re-install everything again.

That's why I'm here. I need to use my Wireless LAN because it's the only way to access my network in the office and I wish to watch my videos with VLC. Besides, APT is a very useful tool. If anybody can help me out, I'll be so, so, so grateful....

Thanks for wasting some times for me

hmm, 9.2 you have. unfortunately support & updates for that version are now discontinued. your best bet is to update to 10.2 or 10.3. even if you manage to get ndiswrapper & vlc installed, you will have even more problems when you decide you need more up to date programs. you may be able to install these programs if you compile from sources
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!

Update from Suse Linux 9.2 to 10.2 or 10.3

Hi!
    Thanks for the advices. I noticed that my best option was to get an up-to-date operating system.
    I don't know how the update to a newer version works, if not a fresh installation.
    Can I download it from the net, cuz I can't afford to buy it for now...
    But, I really need some Linux working on my Computer.

Thanks for saving my ass again

90% of Linux Distro are free to download. Check distrowatch.com and try any from Top 10 list.
    You can request free Ubuntu CD from here. It will take a few weeks to arrive though.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

or download openSuSE 10.3 from here
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!

Still can't Install OpenSuSE 10.3

Thanks for letting me know about the duplicate posts/threads. Didn't know about that.
    This SuSE is getting on my nerves.I downloaded all the ISO images needed for OpenSuSE 10.3 (KDE install, Gnome Install, Add-On). Now, I've got a bigger problem than APT. I can't even install it. After loading the installation from the CD-ROM, he checks the media and tells me that my cd is broken or bad (which is not the case) but I'm still allowed to continue the installation.Then,on the add repository stage, he doesn't see my CD-ROM anymore and I'm compelled to abort.
    I tried to read some documentations but didn't come out with a good solution.My computer is a HP Compaq nx9105 Notebook, AMD Athlon and I don't know if my cd-rom use IDE or serial connectors (OpenSuse detects it as: /dev/sr0).
    I tried fresh installation from ftp but it was taking too much time. I gave up.

Any idea to help me get out of the fog???????????

Linux Guru
    You seem to be having trouble either with downloading the ISO or burning it to disk. To save yourself some frustration, purchase a copy of the distro. Distrowatch.com links to linuxcd.org, where you can puchase the DVD for $5.75 USD.

Welcome to Linux Cd.org - SuSE 10.3 DVD - x86_64
    or
    Welcome to Linux Cd.org - SuSE 10.3 DVD - i386

I recommend the DVD, because it will have more applications available to install. If you do not have a DVD drive, then get the multiple CDs, or get a DVD drive.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

I wish I could buy the distro....

Hi!
    I wish I could buy the 10.3 distro to save me from all those headaches. Unfortunately, like u guyz, I'm in Africa, precisely i'm in Chad republic. We ain't got no credit cards and only the shipping will take about 100$ outta my purse.Ain't so easy...
    Anyway, after some research, I found my problem... My checksums value doesn't correspond to the ones I'm supposed to get. Which means I have to download the ISO files all over again.It's too much trouble. I have decided to install from this http server: download.opensuse.org.
    If I ain't successful, I think I'll give up and try RedHat 7.3 or some Mandriva version (That's what I got).
    The thing is, I really fancied SuSE 9.2, but what's the use if I can't update it, get new software packages. It's just useless....

I would suggest you to try Ubuntu. Its just 700MB and its a user friendly distro. You can request free Ubuntu CD from here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the Advice. I really fancy SuSE, maybe because of the way he handles BootLoaders (better than RedHat, Mandriva or Debian) after what I've noticed.I know people are saying that Ubuntu is the best Linux distro.
    Nonetheless, I ain't sleeping on my failures. I tried the net installation. It looks like it's working this time. I'm still on it. Maybe I didn't choose a good repository the other day.
    Anyway, I'll let ya know how I managed.

Thanks again for the advice, It's worth goldies