Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I am totally new to Linux am duel booting with XP so downloaded the driver eciadsl-usermode-nortek2021.tar.bz2 file for my voyager 100 whilst in XP i'm running SuSe 9.1 But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install voyager 100 driver?

Hi I am totally new to Linux am duel booting with XP so downloaded the driver eciadsl-usermode-nortek2021.tar.bz2 file for my voyager 100 whilst in XP

i'm running SuSe 9.1 But aint got a clue how to use it or how to install as i've never used Linux befor i'm confused by the installation tutorial I printed.

Can anyone do a step by step run walkthrough for me from system switch on
    to installation of driver.

This way the terms and processes used will be learnt easier.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Just Joined!
    Oh come on guys surley someone can help this is probably simple to you and your thinking whats this ideot on but we all started somewhere!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on guys surley someone can help this is probably simple to you and your thinking whats this ideot on but we all started somewhere!!!!!!!!!
    lol - Hi there Bograt, and welcome to the forums!
    I don't think it's that they don't want to help you :P, however more no one has seen your thread who actually knows.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by eBopBob
    lol - Hi there Bograt, and welcome to the forums!
    I don't think it's that they don't want to help you :P, however more no one has seen your thread who actually knows.

So can you help???????

Sorry Bograt, I'm afraid I can't.

I don't even have it yet! :P
    I myself am asking whether my modem, a Lucent WinModem, will work.

I think maybe you should've asked before you bought it; however I'm sure somehere, or over at LinuxQuestions or at LinuxForum.com will be able to help. This place, and LinuxQuestions and LinuxForum are three large linux communities full of knowledgeable people ready to help; when they view your thread!

Just wait a bit, maybe a night, but don't give up!
    Linux is the right choice... just give it time. Nothing new is easy, but you have to admit, so far without the modem, don't you prefer it to Windows?

Good luck with getting help with your modem problem!

Just Joined!
    The drivers there so It should work? but just want someone to walkme through the set up i,ve been at it for 5 days and not to happy at the mo cos i'm starting to feel like a right K**b head.

And for thinking that someone who uses linux dosn't know how to unzip untar and run a linux package dosnt ring true So come on will someone please walk me through the setup??????????????

In answer to your question it would be better than Windows if I could work out how to use it.

Sorry Bograt, I'm afraid I can't.

I don't even have it yet! :P
    I myself am asking whether my modem, a Lucent WinModem, will work.

I think maybe you should've asked before you bought it; however I'm sure somehere, or over at LinuxQuestions or at [REMOVED] will be able to help. This place, and LinuxQuestions and LinuxForum are three large linux communities full of knowledgeable people ready to help; when they view your thread!

Just wait a bit, maybe a night, but don't give up!
    Linux is the right choice... just give it time. Nothing new is easy, but you have to admit, so far without the modem, don't you prefer it to Windows?

Good luck with getting help with your modem problem!

The drivers there so It should work? but just want someone to walkme through the set up i,ve been at it for 5 days and not to happy at the mo cos i'm starting to feel like a right K**b head.
    Maybe ask at LinuxQuestions, however in the Newbie forum. The URL is:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...p?s=&forumid=8

The reason being, you asked in the Linspire forum.. and firstly it's for SuSE linux, and what's more, not many visit the Linspire forum because not many people at LinuxQuestions use it; the majority use Mandrake and Slackware.

Ask in the Newbie forum; I'm sure you've a better chance there. I'll also look for a SuSE specific forum for you.

And for thinking that someone who uses linux dosn't know how to unzip untar and run a linux package dosnt ring true So come on will someone please walk me through the setup??????????????
    Ok, true, it's unlikely many don't know how to do this... however maybe... well... to be honest I cannot think of an excuse for them; however I'm sure if you wait a while, someone'll come through. You only posted this topic today, so I'm sure some'll reply within a day or two.

In answer to your question it would be better than Windows if I could work out how to use it.
    Are you only having problems with your modem? Or are you having problems with anything in Linux?

Just Joined!
    Need to set up the modem, and openoffice_org shows a dependancy error when using Yast to run RPM modem packet thats why I downloaded the bz2 packet.

Ive asked this question for days and have had help but people don't seem to be able to get their heads round the fact that I know nothing not even the basics so giving me a link for the drivers ok but then the instructions on installing the package make no sence cos I try to do the stuff but the instructions will say download file unzip bla, bla, ias root like in file manager like in window Otherwise on a root console (like un*xusers):
    #rpm -i

See why I get confussed it's as though its telling me to have 10 different folders open to do one task at least in Windows I can click on a zip and extract straight away without this problem.

Ok, true, it's unlikely many don't know how to do this... however maybe... well... to be honest I cannot think of an excuse for them; however I'm sure if you wait a while, someone'll come through. You only posted this topic today, so I'm sure some'll reply within a day or two.

Are you only having problems with your modem? Or are you having problems with anything in Linux?

Unfortunately Windows will always be easier, however you mustn't give up!!

True, you could always go back to Windows, but then you'd have failed at Linux... just keep on it for a bit longer. Maybe try not to use OpenOffice, however KOffice if you're using KDE. They don't include the latest version of OpenOffice with SuSE 9.1, and maybe that is why it doesn't work... however I'm sure one of the various other office programs included does (Always thought it was a bad idea for them to include so many types of office program... too bloated, but maybe they do because some never work?! ).

In regards to the modem, well thankfully though you're not the only one. Many new people to Linux have problems at first; however after waiting a while (or long time) for help on a forum board, they receive enough help and get it sorted. Maybe ask on a Linux group at Yahoo Groups.

In regards to linux people not understand about you haven't used Linux before and with the control centre and all that, I totally agree - Many don't realise that you're totally new, and when you say you're new they think you know about half of the commands (They seem to forget they too were new at one point and knew nothing; they weren't born with their knowledge no matter how much they believe they were!). Hopefully though someone'll prevail and come through with the right answer.

Really hope you get this sorted.
    Just hang in there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast