Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just installed Suse 9.1 on my PC. The sound works basically perfect with my Soundblaster 5.1 Live card. However, when I play certain MP3's which I have ripped ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange partial skipping of MP3s in Suse 9.1

Hello,

I just installed Suse 9.1 on my PC. The sound works basically perfect with my Soundblaster 5.1 Live card. However, when I play certain MP3's which I have ripped myself from my CDs with 160 kbps and 48000 Hz, xmms keeps skipping parts of the songs about every 5 seconds. The other player, amarok, plays the entire songs, but a little slower than they should be, and with considerable background noise.

The strange thing is that I had no problems playing those MP3s with Suse 8.x (and they also play perfectly on my WinXP / Winamp box in my office). Any ideas? As mentioned, I have a Soundblaster 5.1 Live. I also have onboard sound (it's an Asus K7m266 board), which is disabled in the bios, but still shows up as soundcard in Yast. However, it's the second soundcard, and not configured.

Just Joined!

OSS helps somewhat..

I just found out that configuring the sound system to use OSS in the Control Center (instead of auto detection) helped a little bit: Now, at least "amarok" plays all MP3s flawlessly. XMMS, however, still keeps skipping parts... strange. And as soon as I switch to ALSA, "amarok" also fails again. I thought ALSA was more modern and the future of the Linux sound system? Or was it the other way around?

Linux Engineer
    Follow the yellow brick road.......

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/vie...ghlight=hdparm

Might help
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close