Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was thinking about getting Suse but before I do I was wondering if someone could tell me if my dsl will work on it. Its through sbc and we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

internet

I was thinking about getting Suse but before I do I was wondering if someone could tell me if my dsl will work on it. Its through sbc and we use the 2wire ports. I was also wondering if the fact that my computer would be the only one running Linux would be a problem (the other two computers are running xp). My final question is will I be able to run all my games on it and will they run at the same speed?

Just Joined!
    i installed suse 9.1 today and what can i say:
    internet i take from windwos xp based server which is sharing dsl. i have nothing to config. just opend web browser and viola. about games and windows based programs i can say anything. i just don try at the moment.
    but... my linux pc can see other windows based systems in windows workgroups and their shared files and printers . i hope, i?l find how to fix it.

Linux Engineer
    if ur dsl is thru an external modem it will stilrl work. if its internal post the model number etc here coz most have drivers, some dont.
    sharing is 3 commands at a terminal. - if the gui config doesnt do it 4 u.

all ur file sharing etc will still work. games...... ummm.... it depends. most will be able to run under wine or with a linux executable... but for some people wine just doent go.... so its kinda 50/50

Just Joined!
    yes, with windows program is difficult. now im trying to let dreamveawer but it? not very easy....
    i think, it? better to have linux & windows in same pc.

its all if the installer inferfaces with system folders, dreamweaver does (all macromedias suite does) but if you want games, then its easy, wine (its not 50/50, if you spend more than 15 min configuring it befor jsut executing crap, then youll be fine), wine hq, and there is another program (unfortunetly i forgot the name again, Calugda?, reguardless, that provides DX9 support, add in that most big title games have a native linux installer of some sort, and gaming should be a blast. For dreamweaver the trick is to look at other coders, if you just want the autotag completion, there are programs on linux that will do that if you are a dreamweaver 'designer' (ie you dont know html, but use the design interface instead) you will probably want to keep windows somewhere. Personaly i run VNC on windows, and do all my flash authoring remotly.(that and avid are the only purpose that windows serves.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    can u help me how to install dreamveawer? i lunch installer. when linux ask me how to open what program. i write wine. when opens installer. then i see: reading packages, extracting packages.... when in bottom right corner of the window i see install shield launching line. it closes and thats all what i see. installiation dont runs....

like i said, i never got it to work on linux, but are you a coder? if not, do you have a network that this computer is on?

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    no...... im amateur. i finished 8 class in school last year now , in summer vacation, im trying to make a website....
    maybe you know any graphic web site creating programs for linux ?

well, mozilla is nice, but nowhere near dreamweaver, personaly, i do all html by hand, and only use macromedia for flash. I would use photoshop more, but flash is so cloesly linked to fireworks, and my image editing is very elemntary. Reguardless, if theres another pc that you can vnc, then look into that, if you still have windows, dont delete it yet. Also think about trying to install some of the more powerful emulators, some of them cost like $20 but if you already droped 500 of dreamweaver or over a 1000 on studio, then its not much of a fee to pay.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    no, i don buy them..... i mmm crack dreaveawer. so, i see, ill have to use windows a lot......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast