Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy gang, I have a situation where I HAVE to use SuSE 9.0, can 9 support C2D CPU's and if so can anyone recommend a motherboard that also will work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE 9.0 and Core 2 Duo...

Howdy gang,

I have a situation where I HAVE to use SuSE 9.0, can 9 support C2D CPU's and if so can anyone recommend a motherboard that also will work properly under 9.0?
    I have the Intel DG965WHMKR at the moment, but it loses the IDE channels just a few moments into the install.

Thank you,
    Virii

I don't believe there was a 64-bit version of SuSE 9.0, but the 32-bit version should run just fine on a Core 2 Duo.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    It might be worthwhile using a more up-todate version of suse - as 9.0 is very old and was released back in October 2003.

I agree with trying a newer version, but if you are going to run 9.0 you might consider isntalling the SMP kernel so you can use bother processors. Also 9.0 might not support all of your hardware with particular reference to motherboard components.

SUSE 10.3 is the current release and should better support your needs.

Just Joined!
    As I said in my first post I HAVE to run 9.0 I cannot run a more updated version. I have to run an old SCO Unix app and after kernel 2.4 there is apparently no SCO Unix support left in the kernel.

So can anyone recommend a motherboard that WILL work under 9.0 for a C2D CPU?

Your best bet in running it natively is to use hardware from the era, i.e. Pentium III/4. Alternatively you could run a newer operating system natively and run SUSE 9.0 in a virtual machine.

You can try installing 9.0 on the Core2Duo system and see how it works out, if you aren't experiencing problems then great but if you do have certain problems regarding drivers you may be out of luck. If you do proceed again I would recommend using the SMP kernel to support both of your processors.

Just Joined!
    YEa I want to stay away from Virtual machines as this will be handed off to a less than technical savvy office manager. I suppose I will have to build it out of old hardware. I really hate to do that, as I would like to be able to shove this box into a closet and forget about it for another 10 years, like the last one.

Thank you for your help,
    Virii

Well it's worth a try on the C2D, you'll know within an hour if it'll work for you