Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Probs installing SuSE 9.1

-- Ok, this is now going to be my only thread in regards to my problems with installing SuSE 9.1, and all future probs. It can be merged with my other thread about SuSE if necessary.

---------

Ok - BAD BAD NEWS.

Well, I popped the CD in. Chose "Installation", let everything load. Finally it came to the graphical installed and I chose all the settings, got my USB mouse to work, selected how much I wanted to go to Windows and how much for Linux. Selected what software I wanted to be installed.... I clicked Install and it started resizing my Windows partition; so I went away to do other stuff.

Came back a few times to check on it, and it was at 20%, then I came back again and it was 40%... then a bit later I came back and it was on 40% still, but it was going through one of my folders which has 5mb worth of content and I saw it was going slowly. Came back a bit later, and a big red screen met my eye with in yellow writing saying there was an error. I clicked ok, and it took me back to a menu which allowed me to start the install again or do other stuff.

So, what should I do? I then took the CD out and restarted... Windows hung at the Win 98SE screen and there were black lines all over it. I then put in the SuSE CD and restarted; I selected "Boot from Hard Disk" and it booted Windows; at least Windows booted properly this time.

So WHAT should I do? I need to leave for the shops in a tad. Should I put it back in, and start it up again and leave for the shops or what?

Thanks. Much appreciated!!

PS: Could it be that I defragged yesterday morn but went on later that night on the net and didn't defrag again before installing?

dont know what happed, but defrag didnt do it. If i were to guess, you probably messed up your MBR. Do you rember the error, that will let us target what went wrong and how to fixit.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

The majority of the settings were chosen automatically by Yast. I only once remember seeing MBR which was about the boot config using Grub. It said Linux first, then Windows, then something, and then memory test.

In regards to the error, it didn't actually say what it was, just that there was one. Is there anyway to see what the error was?

I'll try to install it again, and see if there are anymore problems. This time though I'm going to leave EVERYTHING as how YaST chooses and not modify a thing; see if that changes anything.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    alright, just post when it all works.

Formerly Known as qub333

alright, just post when it all works.
    lol - What about when it doesn't? :P

Really disappointed in Linux so far. I'm not one of those who wants everything to be an easy plug-n-play, however I would like it to simply install easily. I'd love to learn how to compile, and learn the command line code... however so far it's proving very difficult due to the installation problems; and I don't want to lose Windows completely.

I tried it again, and with no luck. I put it in, clicked Install and went to throw the rubbish out and left it to partition my hard drive and install SuSE. I came back, and it came up with the same error as last time. It doesn't say WHAT the error is. All it says is "There was an error with the installation." - Nothing more, nothing less.

Any help with this?

Thanks.

im afraid to trash suse on there own forum, but i never liked the install, and there have been alot of conflict issues with suse and xp. Look at mandrake ( a personal favorate) or if you have a stronger computer background, gentoo or slackware. but if you really want suse, then you probably need to re-download/reburn the cd's iit looks like file corruption from here, and the best way to fix that is to redownload (then run a md5checksum on the iso's to make sure the came throuhg intact, then to burn them again.

Formerly Known as qub333

I installed suse 9.1 personal without problems, but not next to windows...
    I'm just guessing here, but maybe you should defrag the win98 partition from within windows, see how much space is considered free, and then check whether that is enough? The redownload hint sounds good too...
    Minimum specs, found somewhere through google:

------&<----------------&<---------------
    Processor: Pentium 1-4; AMD Duron, Athlon,
    Athlon XP, Athlon MP, Athlon 64

Main memory: at least 128 MB recommended

Hard Disk: at least 400 MB, 2 GB recommended

Sound and Graphics cards: SuSE Linux supports most modern sound and graphics cards.

------&<----------------&<---------------

My exact system specs are: Fujitsu-Siemens hard drive, a MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8174, a Lucent LT WinModem, 500 megahertz Intel Pentium III, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5"), 256 Megabytes Installed Memory, Board: FIC A430/A450 Mass Production.

im afraid to trash suse on there own forum, but i never liked the install, and there have been alot of conflict issues with suse and xp
    I actually read a few reviews and heard there were some errors with SuSE and XP; however I've Win 98SE and was hoping it'd be fine. I asked at a few places, and a lot said I wouldn't have any problems. Guess I did.

Look at mandrake ( a personal favorate) or if you have a stronger computer background, gentoo or slackware.
    Thanks yeah. I think I'll order Mandrake 10. I can get the Mandrake 10.0 Official Download Edition 5-CD Set for 5.99 including postage and packaging. I'd try Slackware but would it be easy to do dual boot with Windows? I've also heard you shouldn't try Gentoo unless you're a tad mad. :P - People say it's pretty difficult unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I think I'll place an order for Mandrake and when it arrives test it out.

but if you really want suse,
    Not really, I just wanted it because I heard it will support my modem with no problems. If needs be, I'll just get an external modem which'll work with all linux.

I installed suse 9.1 personal without problems, but not next to windows..
    I'm guessing it'd work 100% if I didn't want to keep Windows, however I really want to. I'm not the only one who uses this laptop, and the others don't want to use Linux so I'm stuck with needing a dual boot.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe you should defrag the win98 partition from within windows, see how much space is considered free, and then check whether that is enough?
    There's plenty enough space. I've a 40gb hdd, but only use 6gb currently.

I think what I'll do is re-try, and see EXACTLY where it goes wrong. Rather than leaving it to get on with it while I'm out.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I'll post my results once I get to the error in the installation.

sounds like you have a plan, personaly, i loved my time with mandrake, but now im a gentoo maniac, and will never let it go. but at the same time, i still have a tiny partition for mandrake.....ahhh mandrake.

Formerly Known as qub333

I really would love to end up using Arch or Gentoo in the end; would much prefer Gentoo though, however I think I'm a bit young in the world of Linux to be trying something like that. :P

Ok, well, I popped the CD in, clicked Install, left settings AS IS except for my mouse which I changed to a USB one. Then I sat and stared at the screen. This is what I saw: at 40% everything started to slow down, and really come to a halt. After about 20 minutes of it stuck on 40%, it went to a black screen for a few seconds and then to a red one.which said "There was an error during installation!"... it didn't say anything else. When I clicked "ok" in the end at the red screen, it took me to the screen you get when you select "Manual Installation".

So my guess is that it's a partitioning error; and nothing else. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Any ideas on this?

What I may do, and it's a tiny may, is look for my drivers CDs that came with my laptop, and when I find them install a Linux distro completely on the laptop and have no Windows partition.

But any help regarding my problems are much appreciated.