Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I need to install OpenSuse on an IBM X360 machine. This has scsi system disks and an additional Promise sata raid card because the machine is to be used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

opensuse 10.3 installation can't read repositories on dvd

Hi

I need to install OpenSuse on an IBM X360 machine. This has scsi system disks and an additional Promise sata raid card because the machine is to be used as a high-capacity file server. The optical drive is a slim type on and ide controller Broadcom OSB4 (driver pata_serverworks is loaded for this one).

The system boots from the dvd and everything works (all devices are recognized and the drivers loaded) but only to where it says "Loading Installation System (67552 kb)". No progress is made and after a while the following linuxrc message appears: "Could not find the OpenSuse Repository. Activating manual setup program."

The repositories must be on that dvd, so what may cause the problem? As if the dvd drive could suddenly not be read anymore, but why?

Kind regards
    Martin

Just Joined!

Unhappy Can't Find Repositories

Hi Martin

Have you been able to resolve this problem yet? I am having an almost identical problem attempting to instal Opensuse 10.3 on a Proliant server with SCSI RAID 5 array controlled by Smartarray 3200.

I am a Linux novice trying to get a server running stable. I am just about ready to abandon OpenSUSE and try another distro, having tried multiple SUSE versions and multiple platforms with little success. I have managed a base 10.1 installation on this platform, but have failed with both the CD and DVD distributions of 10.3.
    The repositories must be on the DVD. Why can't the installer find them automatically? It shouldn't be this hard just to get an OS installed.

Thanks & regards
    David

Just Joined!
    Hi David

No I couldn't and had to change the OS as well as the server machine. I tried a lot of distros and in my case there was none that fully worked on my machine, just too much special hardware I guess. Most others installed but then some hardware was not supported (i.e. raid controller, sound card etc.). I think the issue is that the opensuse installer does not have the right driver for the cdrom for whatever reason.

Now I'm running PC-BSD (a flavor of freeBSD) on another machine.

Regards
    Martin

Just Joined!

10.3 installation can't read repositories on DVD

Thanks for the reply Martin. I have come to a similar conclusion - try another distro. I just changed the DVD drive for a new one with the same results.

I'm downloading Fedora right now and will give that a try.

thanks again.
    regards David.