Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am a complete newbie to linux, I purchased a copy of SUSE 9.1 Personal tried following the install guide but am running into some problems: The system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot install Suse 9.1 Personal with cd-rom drive?

Hello all,
    I am a complete newbie to linux, I purchased a copy of SUSE 9.1 Personal tried following the install guide but am running into some problems:

The system I am using is a Dell OptiPlex Gs, 128mg, 5gb hd, Win98.
    >Since the installation requires booting from the cd-rom drive this system does not have that option in setup, only A, HD or HD, A.
    How can I get around this without a boot floppy?

>Also this may sound like a dumb question but can you install suse 9.1 over an existing copy of Win98 or do you need to format the HD? The installation guide is not very helpful and there is not much on troubleshooting an installation.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

you can create a boot floopy, there are images for the floppy online, or you can instert the cd, and the autorun should have an option to create a bootfloppy. When you start the install you will have an option to delete all existing partitions, when you do that, the purification will have begun!
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    How can I get around this without a boot floppy?
    about this i think you can install linux as qub333 said and install a boot loader in the mbr.i think also that with selecting expert partitioning in suse 9.1 installation you can see where ti install linux avoiding erasing existing windows partitioning.although basic knowledge on partitioning is needed!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info but it sounds a bit complicated.
    Can you suggest a web site to create these boot disk? and what are the steps to install them? Like I said I am a newbie.

(you would think Linux would include boot disks with this OS just for problems like this)

Just Joined!
    I donít know if this helps at all but I couldnít get it to install when I had disk 1 in my cd rom but I put disk 2 in and started my computer up and it worked perfectly.

looks like disk one/ the disk one iso was damaged, thats all.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    check in the ftp server of suse :ftp://suse.com
    you may find something there.in my opinion buy a dvd drive.have you also checked that bios recognises the cdrom drive?if not neither linux will...
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    This being my first experience with Linux and after several unsuccessful attempts to install this OS, I have come to the conclusion...keep Linux, I'll stick with Windows.

ok, if windows is your choice, then at least you got to make one. But if you still want to get a little taste of linux, you can try a bootable live cd. Knoppix is a popular one, just burn the iso and reboot with the cd in your drive. it wont install or anything, just a kde desktop for you to see linux in.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    I've one more suggestion for you, if you haven't given up yet. Since you are unable to select your CD-ROM drive as a bootable device in your BIOS, (which is not a linux error,) you might want to check where it is located. By where, I mean what position on which IDE cable.

Some older versions of BIOS, (I think AWARD BIOS suffered from this a long time ago,) if your HDD and CD-ROM are on the same IDE cable, with the CD-ROM on the slave or secondary cable select position, (denoted by your jumpers on the drive,) it wouldn't allow you to boot to that device. So you can try two things.

First, if you have two IDE cable slots on your motherboard, put your CD-ROM and HDD on a seperate cable. You will get better performance from your drives anyway.

Second, if they are already on their own cable, make sure their jumpers are set to the 'master' position. A diagram should be on your drive... if not, search for a diagram on the net. If they are on one cable, and set to cable select, try setting the CD-ROM to master and the HDD as slave, or switching their positions on the cable.

Aside of messing with your hardware, you can also try flashing your BIOS to the latest version. Search for your motherboard vendor, download the latest BIOS and put it on a floppy, and follow any other instructions that come with the file, or that are on the manufacturers site.

If these solutions don't work, I don't know :-)

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Linux, either. If you are only using computers for convenience or entertainment, it is fine to stick with windows. If you are using them in the workforce, or are wanting to learn about programming or computers, you are going to encounter linux at some point or another. Better to get familiar with it on your own time, and impress the hell out of your employer when no one else can find a solution to potential problems :-P

Good luck with everything!

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me