Find the answer to your Linux question:
After some 10 years of staying with Redhat product line, I am about to jump ship (exact reasons are not important) and I am considering a switch to SuSE 9.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE 9.1 Pro: license questions

After some 10 years of staying with Redhat product line, I am about to jump ship (exact reasons are not important) and I am considering a switch to SuSE 9.1 Pro.

Unfortunately, SuSE's website is absolutely unhelpful when it comes to licensing. I have no idea what my rights are and what I can or cannot do with the aforementioned product. I would appreciate some help here:

- Given that I buy an official version of 9.1 Pro, how many computers can I run it on?
    - If I can, then what kind of computers: personal ones, the one at work?
    - Assuming that I am allowed and I do run it on both my desktop and my laptop, would I be able to use automatic package updates on both?

Thanks in advance.

Linux Newbie
    Answer to first question: How many computers do you have? That's how many.
    Answer to second question: See first answer.
    Yes.
    In the past, the restriction that caused the trouble was the propietary license on YaST, which prevented selling copies of any SUSE product which used YaST.
    However, that never prevented 1)installing a single purchase on multiple machines, 2) in what environment(personal, corporate etc.) it could be deployed, 3) giving copies away or 4) using the update mechanism.
    Further, since the takeover of SUSE by Novel, YaST is now GPL and therefore the propietary license issue is no longer an issue at all.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux Engineer
    u turn is right.you can install suse in as many pc's as you want.there is no restriction on it!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the answers. This is a good news.