Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, Newbie to linux. I just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal yesterday. I've gotten mostly everything to work except for my tv tuner card (Tv@nywhere, conexant cx881 video/audio decoder, tuner ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TV card

Hey all,

Newbie to linux. I just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal yesterday. I've gotten mostly everything to work except for my tv tuner card (Tv@nywhere, conexant cx881 video/audio decoder, tuner is MTsomething Universal)...during the installation, it did not recognize the tv card, but when in suseplugger, it recognizes "conexant multimedia video controller"...when i click on details, it says it is both availabe and configured and the name is 'conexant winfast tv2000 xp'....under YaST, i try to add a tv card, but obviously there is no option for my tv card...is this something that is going to frustrate me for life or should i just go out and get a supported card? Thank you in advance.

If it detected it, then thats a good sign, and i doubt that you need to get a 'compatable' card, visit the site of the cardmaker and see if they offer linux drivers, if not, run a google on the card and linux, see what comes up. post the findings of your search hear. (sorry i cant be more explicit, im on mypda wirelessly makes viewing/tping more difficult)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    there isn't much information out there about it...a few messages back in september and december of 2003 saying that there wasn't a video4linux driver for it yet...but i'm assuming by now that someone would have come up with one...i did find this one place ...just take a look, but i have no idea (looking further right now) what they're really talking about nor does it seem if the guy solved his problem...

***p://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/msg11076.html

i'd also like to add, when i run kdetv, it doesn't recognize the card...i can't even configure the settings...i also painstakingly managed to install freevo, but when i run that, nothing happens...an hourglass comes up and then freevo just disappears from the taskbar....does anyone know how freevo works?

ok...i actually found some information...under the suseplugger, it says that the driver status: cx8800 is not active...i guess that is where my problem is...well not really, since it says activation command is "modprobe cx8800" but that is where my newbieness comes in (i'm looking into this, but explanations would be greatly appreciated)

the driver is activated...but i still can't watch tv

wait, did you type modprobe cx8800 into the commandline as root? thats how you get device support in linux, installing mods to the kernel.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    yea...i've activated by using modprobe...but i guess my problem now is finding and installing software to watch tv...

as it stands right now, i'm having difficulty setting up freevo...there is an ld.so inconsistency (something to do with kernel, although i'm very confused)...tvtime works but i can't seem to get sound and i can't change channels nor configure channels (i'm not sure how to do that)...and kwintv (which came with installation) does not recognize the device...

so at least i know my card can is recognized, since tvtime works....i'm trying to explore these three avenues but am getting nowhere.