Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK.. i am a COMPLETE newbie with linux.. i have a few .tar.gz files that i want to install. i have read a few install instructions and all it saw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.tar.gz HELP

OK.. i am a COMPLETE newbie with linux.. i have a few .tar.gz files that i want to install. i have read a few install instructions and all it saw to do is ./configure /make and /make install.. i am still confused on where to do these commands and exactly how to do it. so if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated..
    thank you

first use the 'tar' command to unzip, then use teh 'cd' command to navigate to teh directory that the unzipped file is in. then just type ./configure make make install. its deceptively simple
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    firstly open a terminal window (as root) and then locate the file you want to unzip(*.tar.gz) with using cd command(cd=change directory-->this is to enter the appropriate folder that includes the file you want to unzip).
    then type:
    Code:
    gunzip <filename.tar.gz>
    now there is in this folder a file like <filename.tar>.(see it with ls command).then type:
    Code:
    tar -xvf <filename.tar>
    this will extract the file and create a folder named <filename>.then use cd <foldername> to enter the directory and then type:
    Code:
    ./configure
    .after completing without error type:
    Code:
    make
    and finally
    Code:
    make install
    that's it!
    after all that type sh <fileexecutable in this folder> and program will run if installed correctly!
    GOOD LUCK!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    thanks for your quick responces.. im still getting an error:

sorry about the cardomain.. only place i could upload a pic[/img]

Linux Engineer
    as i can see you missing gcc so you can't install the file.so put the installation cd (1st cd) and using yast2 search for gcc compiler.install it and that's all...
    Linux For Ever!