Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed SuSE Linux 8.1. It works fine when I set the screen resolution to 640x480, but that's way to low. I like it at 1024x768. the only problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    A land of eternal peace. You can join me if you try!

Screen Resolution?

I just installed SuSE Linux 8.1. It works fine when I set the screen resolution to 640x480, but that's way to low. I like it at 1024x768. the only problem is that when I change the screen resolution to anything higher, if I try to restart or anything it has a bunch of errors and won't let me into KDE.

Do I need to new drivers or something? If I do, does nayone know what drivrs I'd need for an HP Pavilion v70s monitor and an Intel i845 (i810) graphics card?

If you don't, I can look on HP and Itel's sites if anyone can tell me what kind of drivers I should look for?

All help is much appreciated.

Peace,

Nalencer

Why didn't you set it to 1024*768 at the beginning?

Could you by any chance tell us what errors you get?
    I have 9.1, and it auto set my screen at 800*600 but I had no problems at all setting it to 1024*768, I simply had to select my monitor, select the resolution and actually tell it how many mm long and tall my monitor is. I did all this via Sax2 I think it was?

Just Joined!
    I've installed it about eight times trying to get it working correctly, several of those times I set it to 1024x768 atthe binning and it still did the same thing, only I couldnt get into it at all, not just after restarting.

When I tried to use startx at the command prompt it said it was a fatal error and it said that if my card was newer than January 2002 I should get it updated. Hey wait, I just remembered something... it said free86.org. off i go!

Just Joined!
    i still need help here. i dont know of anyone else who can help me, so please try.

I have had a couple of problems with the NVIDIA driver, every now n then when i install something, i have to reinstall the drivers. Basically, when my computer loads up, t tries to load X, but can't find the driver or something similar. The screen flashes off as if it's about to load X and then flashes bk toi the text based login, it does this 2/3 times before staying in the text based login. The way i solve this is to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers from the site. Then it works ok!

Hope this helps.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

he's not using the NVIDIA driver though, i believe. have you tried to find the appriopate drivers for your video card?

Just Joined!
    that screen flahsing thing happens to me too! i have hope!

btw, my card is intel i845, if anyone could look for the drivers, id appreciate it. im lookin for them too, but other peeps might know about places i dont.

I just needed to get this link on my other comp that has a printer, so I'm potingt he url here.

http://support.intel.com/support/gra.../CS-010512.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nalencer
    that screen flahsing thing happens to me too! i have hope!

btw, my card is intel i845, if anyone could look for the drivers, id appreciate it. im lookin for them too, but other peeps might know about places i dont.

I just needed to get this link on my other comp that has a printer, so I'm potingt he url here.

http://support.intel.com/support/gra.../CS-010512.htm
    Intel 845 Chipset drivers here!! Try reinstallin em, and c that happens! Remember they need reinstallin in runlevel 3!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    how exactly do i install those drivers? im very new (like started yesterday), and I have no idea about any of the commands or anything. if you could post a little session of like what to type an what will happen or whatever id REALLY appreciate it. thanx.

Just Joined!
    also, i dont see the actual download link for the drivers on that page. where is it? i just see alot of talk about them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast