Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have this computer (xp pro) as an ICS server, and the other pc (dual boot suse and xp home) as the client. xp home can connect to the net ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE as an ICS client

I have this computer (xp pro) as an ICS server, and the other pc (dual boot suse and xp home) as the client.

xp home can connect to the net (almost) perfectly, how do I configure suse to connect too?
    I configured my network card with what i think are the right settings, I'm just not sure where to go from here. At the moment I'm looking at NIS settings, but it asks for a domain. I dont remember entering one...

So, if anybody could tell me how to do that, it would be a big step away from windows for me :P

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Once your ICS server is setup, the only thing you should need to do is ensure your ethernet card is set to use DHCP and your set to go. (i think).

Just Joined!
    Well I just tried setting it to use DHCP in yast, if thats what you mean. I dont know anything else about it.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud
    Well I just tried setting it to use DHCP in yast, if thats what you mean. I dont know anything else about it.
    Did it work?

Just Joined!
    Nope. Nothing has changed...

At the moment I have changed it back to using default gateway 192.168.0.1, and itself having the IP 192.168.0.2

If I open konquerer I get a problem connecting to any websites, if I open kinternet it tells me that maybe smpppd is not running or I'm not part of "dialout".

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud
    Nope. Nothing has changed...

At the moment I have changed it back to using default gateway 192.168.0.1, and itself having the IP 192.168.0.2

If I open konquerer I get a problem connecting to any websites, if I open kinternet it tells me that maybe smpppd is not running or I'm not part of "dialout".
    I think your going in the wrong direction... you shouldnt be touching smpppd or anything todo with dialup or modems. As far as your linux client is aware, its a standard ethernet connection.

Ok, according to this page: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_other you wont need to use DHCP if you dont want to (that doesnt seem like my memories of ICS but anyway...)..

So: ICS box = 192.168.0.1
    Configure your linux box to have these IP settings
    IP: 192.168.0.44
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Get the 2 DNS server addresses from your ISP, and put them as "nameserver x.x.x.x" lines in your /etc/resolve.conf

That should do it.

Jason

Just Joined!
    That worked just great thanks

I think it was probably the DNS servers that were causing problems, I hadnt set them...
    Thanks for the help!