Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by gogalthorp Do you have a video acceleration driver installed? Have you received an up date to the kernel? If so you must reinstall the video driver. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Do you have a video acceleration driver installed? Have you received an up date to the kernel? If so you must reinstall the video driver.
    I have not updated any kernel but i am using my old suse 10.2. I dont know abt video acceleration driver as such but the same suse worked very well in my system some days back and for the last 6 months.

From your further description it looks like you have some serious corruption somewhere. I'd recommend a lowlevel disk scan (get scan software form your Disk mfg I use Spinrite a commercial product) And correct any damaged areas. Then reinstall the OS. You can preserve your personal data and settings. When the installer gets to the Disk partition scheme manually change the reformat setting for the partition that contains /home to not reformat. Make sure it still mounts as /home. Then continue the install. You will also need to reinstall any software that you might need/want out side what is on the install disk that installs to the root (/) partition (most of them)

Just Joined!
    From your further description it looks like you have some serious corruption somewhere. I'd recommend a lowlevel disk scan (get scan software form your Disk mfg I use Spinrite a commercial product) And correct any damaged areas. Then reinstall the OS. You can preserve your personal data and settings. When the installer gets to the Disk partition scheme manually change the reformat setting for the partition that contains /home to not reformat. Make sure it still mounts as /home. Then continue the install. You will also need to reinstall any software that you might need/want out side what is on the install disk that installs to the root (/) partition (most of them)
    hmmm..so do i have the last option as to reinstall the suse.
    when i tried the command sax2 again, it took me to some GUI and asked me to save the configuration. I saved the configuration but still the result is not better. is there any possibility that my xserver is crashed. is there any method to repair the xserver.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Unless you really good at trouble shooting the easiest and quickest method is to just reinstall and preserve your home partition.

Just Joined!
    Unless you really good at trouble shooting the easiest and quickest method is to just reinstall and preserve your home partition.
    I have reinstalled the whole linux again with home and root partition both formatted. But after one day of installing, the problem of logging is again happening. The xserver or KDE is not starting. It worked well for the first three times, but now again the same problme is happening. I use windowsXP and suse10.2 .

Please help. It is very annoying to not get the open suse start.

This is sounding more like a hardware problem. Have you done a low level disk scan as I suggested??? When you do be sure to do a deep scan. It is looking like you may have week sectors some where on the HD.

On the outside chance that it is software. After reinstalling did you do an update or load some software before the problem started???

Just Joined!
    This is sounding more like a hardware problem. Have you done a low level disk scan as I suggested??? When you do be sure to do a deep scan. It is looking like you may have week sectors some where on the HD.

On the outside chance that it is software. After reinstalling did you do an update or load some software before the problem started???
    i havenot performed a low level disk scanning as such but i scanned the disk using the tune-up utilities. Also i am having doubt as to use which software for low level disk scanning. Is there any free version available for it.
    yes i installed a software i.e. a toolchain from an organization called open moko. After installing, the next time rebooting failed. It is a toolchain from a free and open source mobile platform.

You should be able to get scanning software from the disk mfg site.

Uninstall the software toolchain or if you don't know how reinstall os and don't install toolchain.

Just Joined!
    You should be able to get scanning software from the disk mfg site.

Uninstall the software toolchain or if you don't know how reinstall os and don't install toolchain.
    ok i will uninstall the toolchain. I also downloaded a hard disk scanner from internet.
    Also i reinstalled the whole linux again after the first time problem, but the problem is coming again.
    But i will need toolchain in future, I have to do my project using it. Also my E drive under windows have got corrupted and nothing is working there. If i reinstall the whole windows and linux again, then will the problem regarding hard disk vanish?

Quote Originally Posted by saurabh1403 View Post
    ok i will uninstall the toolchain. I also downloaded a hard disk scanner from internet.
    Also i reinstalled the whole linux again after the first time problem, but the problem is coming again.
    But i will need toolchain in future, I have to do my project using it. Also my E drive under windows have got corrupted and nothing is working there. If i reinstall the whole windows and linux again, then will the problem regarding hard disk vanish?
    If you are seeing problems on other partitions, I'd say your hard drive is dying

Backup as soon as possible!!!!

Fixing Linux will not fix anything else.

Run the scan utility it should tell you what is what. It may correct bad sectors also. but I'd replace the HD as soon as I could.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2