Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, I had a user account on my open suse10.2 by the name of saurabhg and some password. The strange thing is that it is not showing the general ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem in logging through usual user name

Hello everyone,

I had a user account on my open suse10.2 by the name of saurabhg and some password. The strange thing is that it is not showing the general "log in failed" error which means the password is correct and yes it is correct, i am sure. After entering the password, the system processes for some time and then again brings me to the logging screen.

Please someone help. Right now i am logging through root everytime.

And one more question, although it is from other topic. I want to install Ubuntu7.04 as well on my system, so do i need to create a separate swap partition for it or the one for open suse will be enough as a common swap.

Thanks in advance

I had a user account on my open suse10.2 by the name of saurabhg and some password. The strange thing is that it is not showing the general "log in failed" error which means the password is correct and yes it is correct, i am sure. After entering the password, the system processes for some time and then again brings me to the logging screen.
    Which Desktop Environment are you using? KDE, Gnome or anything else?
    And one more question, although it is from other topic. I want to install Ubuntu7.04 as well on my system, so do i need to create a separate swap partition for it or the one for open suse will be enough as a common swap.
    There is no need to create new SWAP partition. Ubuntu installer will detect existing and you can share single SWAP in multiboot system.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I use KDE.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Rename .kde folder in /home/saurabhg.
    Code:
    mv /home/saurabhg/.kde /home/saurabhg/KDE

Just Joined!
    oh no...now the same problem is happening with root log in also after renaming....I am unable to log in through any means...But one thing is sure that password is correct since it doesn't show "login failed" as it shows in case of wrong password.

I am writing this post through windows now

.kde folder of Regular User has nothing to do with root or any other user.
    Press Alt+Ctrl+F1. It will drop you at command line Login prompt. Does it allow root and Regular User to log in?

Just Joined!
    if it allows then please tell me what next should i do, bcoz from that i will not be able to post a message and again i have to log in through windows....please tell me the options in all cases, so that i can fix it in one go without again and again changing operating systems..

thanks

Execute 'startx' command to load GUI. In case it doesn't work, try this :
    Code:
    sax2
    Last edited by devils casper; 05-11-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: command corrected

Do you have a video acceleration driver installed? Have you received an up date to the kernel? If so you must reinstall the video driver.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Execute 'startx' command to load GUI. In case it doesn't work, try this :
    Code:
    sax2
    I am able to log in through command line prompt, btu still the command startx orsax2 doesn't work. It says me to remove a file "/tmp/.XO-lock". after removing it still , it shows a lot of error and a fatal error message is shown.
    I think my xserver has been down...Do i need to update my suse or KDE or there is any other method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast