Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a relatively new Linux (opensuse 10.2) user and I'm having problems with network printing in an office network. There are 3 network printers that can be detected and installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network printing troubles... please help!!

I'm a relatively new Linux (opensuse 10.2) user and I'm having problems with network printing in an office network. There are 3 network printers that can be detected and installed with drivers.

I set them up using YaST Printer Configuration, as network printers directly connected to the network. Thus eliminating the use op CUPS or SMB or the other options. My problem however is that after I finished the setup and driver selection and select the test option, it would print the test page and afterwards continue sending out blank pages through the printers.
    If I try printing a graphical document through openoffice, my result would just end up with the test page like this:
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %% %%
    mark
    (lp) ( ) (200805150920) {setuserinfo} stopped
    cleartomark

After printing this it would still continue sending out blank pages till the printer eventually runs out.

I would appreciate it if anybody could assist me in fixing this problem.

What printers?

Quote Originally Posted by -K-C- View Post
    My problem however is that after I finished the setup and driver selection and select the test option, it would print the test page and afterwards continue sending out blank pages through the printers.
    On the very few occasions that I've seen this, it was a printer driver problem.

Exactly what 3 printers did you configure?

Just Joined!
    Ricoh Aficio 3025PS
    Ricoh Aficio 3235C
    NRG DSc224
    All of these printers have got drivers available on opensuse, and I have configured them. It might be though that I have selected the wrong set of drivers for each specific printer. I have however printed a successful test page, as far as only text goes, but when I include graphics or a photo the original problem just starts again.

Ricoh Aficio 3025PS
    Ricoh Aficio 3235C
    NRG DSc224
    All of these printers have got drivers available on opensuse, and I have configured them. It might be though that I have selected the wrong set of drivers for each specific printer. I have however printed a successful test page, as far as only text goes, but when I include graphics or a photo the original problem just starts again.
    Ricoh 3025PS: OpenPrinting database - Printer: Ricoh Aficio 3025
    If the "PS" means post script, then try changing to the generic openSUSE postscript driver for this printer.

Ricoh Aficio 3235C
    OpenPrinting database - Printer: Ricoh Aficio 3235C
    If this is also a postscript printer, then try the post script driver. If no luck then I also note it purportedly works with the generic PCL5 driver. Did you try that PCL5 driver?

There is also a Linux forum specific to the Ricoh family of printers:
    OpenPrinting User Forums :: Printers from the Ricoh family and OEMs

NRG DSc224
    OpenPrinting database - Printer: NRG DSc224
    Again, if this is a postscript printer, then try the generic post script driver. It also purportedly works with the Generic PCL 5c driver. Give that a try.
    Again, forum for the NRG (and Roch) family of printers: OpenPrinting User Forums :: Printers from the Ricoh family and OEMs

There is also a FAQ on the Ricoh printers (under linux):
    OpenPrinting/Database/RicohFAQ - The Linux Foundation

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. It is really appreciated, I unfortunately won't be able to test it till Monday, but will let you know if I have more problems.

Just Joined!
    I changed the drivers, as you proposed, and it seems like my problems are solved. Thankyou very much!!

Congratulations

I changed the drivers,... and it seems like my problems are solved.
    Congratulations. Thank you for sharing your solution.