Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me start off by saying that I just installed Linux and that i replaced Vista with Linux and am loving the OS! The only problem I am having is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing HP DV9233cl no sound

Let me start off by saying that I just installed Linux and that i replaced Vista with Linux and am loving the OS! The only problem I am having is sound. My touch panel seems to work, as in i push mute and I see the speaker in the trey turn to a red X then un-mute and the X goes away, turn the volume up, and the on-screen display of the volume goes up, same with turning the volume down. I am on SuSE Linux 10.1 and was wanting to know if anyone can give me an idiots (nooby) instruction guide to installing or getting my sound to work. Anything is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    speeDemon

First I assume you have tried to configure the sound through Yast??????
    If so and it is unsuccessful

Try this as root in a console (note to become root type su then the root password...note the password does not echo)

alsaconfig

It should kick start the sound.
    If not we will need to know what sound chip this you can get via

lspci

to list the PCI devices

you can get more detailed info with

hwinfo

10.1 is old .... harder to get sound to work

Quote Originally Posted by speeDemon7676 View Post
    I see the speaker in the trey turn to a red X then un-mute and the X goes away, turn the volume up, and the on-screen display of the volume goes up, same with turning the volume down. I am on SuSE Linux 10.1 and was wanting to know if anyone can give me an idiots (nooby) instruction guide to installing or getting my sound to work.
    I no longer have 10.1 on my PCs, so I can't get you an idiots instruction guide. If you want something like that then you need to install a recent version of openSUSE (such as version 10.3).

The biggest difficulty you will face is because you are on 10.1. It comes with software management that is not in good shape. Likely you will need to update your ALSA version to the latest from here:
    Index of /repositories/multimedia:/audio

There is an audio troubleshooting guide, which provides most of the information you need to know, except its examples are for 10.3, and not the dated 10.1 you are trying to use.
    AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

ie, update: alsa, alsa-utils, alsa-driver-kmp-default, alsa-tools, alsa-firmware, libasound2

Just Joined!

Quick update

I dont know if this helps, but I do get some sound from the two headphone ports in the front of the laptop But I will try you suggestions gogalthorp, and post the results back here

SpeeDemon

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help thus far guys, but still haivng issues. I tried to run the alsaconfig and it just gave me a command not found error.

then I rean the lspci and got the sound card info:

00:1b.0 Audio Device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

then ran the more details and got:

15. PCI 1b.0: 0403 Audio Device
    [created at pci.312]
    UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27d8
    Unique ID: u1Nb.Xr0+ey1p7G5
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0
    SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1B.0
    Hardware Class: sound
    Model: "Hewlett=Packard Company 8280G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller"
    Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
    Device: pci 0x27d8 "82801G (ICH7 Family) High Defnition Audio Controller"
    SubVendor: pci 0x103c "Hewlett-Packard Company"
    SubDevice: pci 0x30bb
    Revision: 0x02
    Driver: "HDA Intel"
    Memory Range: 0xde300000-0xde303fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    IRQ: 66 (749 events)
    Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d000027D8sv0000103Csd00030BBbc04sc03 i00"
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: snd_ha_intel is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hda_intel"
    Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

That what I got. What do you think.

Oldcpu what do you think the easiest way to update to 10.3 is, do you think my sound card would work better in the 10.3 environment? Where do you download your SuSE updates from?

gogalthorp, what do you think, is it worth trying to fix the 10.1 problem or just upgrade and see where that gets me???

suggestions

I suspect alsa is having difficulty recognizing your sound device. The version of alsa that comes with openSUSE-10.1 is quite old, and unlikely able to handle newer hardware.

Can you run the two diagnostic scripts from the following audio troubleshooting guide, and post here the two URLs that those scripts output? The instructions for the scripts are here:
    AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

Oldcpu what do you think the easiest way to update to 10.3 is, do you think my sound card would work better in the 10.3 environment?
    openSUSE-10.3 comes with alsa version 1.0.14, and I suspect you will need 1.0.15 or 1.0.16 of alsa, but I won't have a better assessment until I can see the output of the two diagnostic scripts. Hence even if you update to openSUSE-10.3, you will likely still have to update your alsa. The BIG advantage of openSUSE-10.3, is it has significantly superior software package management over 10.1.

Where do you download your SuSE updates from?
    I always purchase my openSUSE, although I download (and then seed it via torrent) as well. .... Hence I download my openSUSE from the openSUSE web site. Software.openSUSE.org

But if you wait a few weeks, you can download openSUSE-11.0, as opposed to 10.3.

Or you can try to install the rpms I noted above, for openSUSE-10.1, from the web site I provided. More specifically, if you have the 2.6.16.13_4 kernel, then add the following URL to your package manager, and download the various alsa rpms from here:
    Index of /repositories/multimedia:/audio/SUSE_Linux_10.1

and if you have the 2.6.16.54_0 kernel, then add the following URL to your package manager, and download the various alsa rpms from here:
    Index of /repositories/multimedia:/audio/SUSE_Linux_10.1_Update

You can find your kernel version by typing:
    uname -a

Just Joined!

Red face Thanks for the Help

Hey guys, I just upgraded to 10.3 and everything works now. Thank you all for your help