Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone i have been to ubuntu 7.10 but there i was facing problem in playing multimedia files, beause i dont have internet connectivity at ubuntu and ubuntu does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Choosing SuSE

hello everyone
    i have been to ubuntu 7.10 but there i was facing problem in playing multimedia files, beause i dont have internet connectivity at ubuntu and ubuntu does not provide with the facility to download codec from else where and install them on ubuntu.
    please tell that does suse support this feature and also please write me wh version of SuSE is latest to get started with
    regards.

Hi bilal_jan

Kindly see link below:

Welcome to openSUSE.org - openSUSE

I hope this is of help

Jnike

thanks for reply
    tell me wh one should i choose to get linux setup...

Download version: openSUSE 10.3 (Announcement)
    Boxed version: openSUSE 10.3

Both links will drop you at same download page. Download DVD ( It has all packages and DEs ) or CD-KDE ( it has KDE only ) or CD-Gnome ( Its Gnome only ) list under x86.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you don't have a net connection, you will still face the same problems with multimedia codecs if you use openSUSE (you need a net connection for the one click install or to setup the packman and vlc repos). Try Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS and Mandriva.

Just wondering,

If bilal_jan has access to the net on another pc and can download and burn a cd / use usb flash on it.

Would it be possible to download the files, burn or copy and then get the package manager to look on the cd / flash drive to for the files?

Quote Originally Posted by Geeth View Post
    Just wondering,

If bilal_jan has access to the net on another pc and can download and burn a cd / use usb flash on it.

Would it be possible to download the files, burn or copy and then get the package manager to look on the cd / flash drive to for the files?
    Yes but then there is dependencies!!! You must get all the packages that the basic codecs depend on also. Some may be already installed some may not.