Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there!! I am totally new to the Linux world but i can say i am really enjoying it. Unfortunately i am having problems with my Laptop as i can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Dell Inspiron 1501 Wireless problems

Hello there!! I am totally new to the Linux world but i can say i am really enjoying it. Unfortunately i am having problems with my Laptop as i can't find a way to get Linux Suse 10.3 to recognize my wireless card. I am looking for a simple answer to this problem because i am totally clueless about Linux!! sorry!!
    I have tried Ubuntu, Fedora, Solaris, and a few more different linux but none can recognize my wireless card the only Operational system that can put it to work is Windows but I want to totally erase it from my hardrive but i can't at the moment. My wireless card is a Broadcom !! Please can anyone out there help with something that a totally beginner in linux like me can follow? Thank you!!

First, pick a distribution you like. All of them will behave similarly with the way you have to install your wireless drivers. My personal favorite right now is Ubuntu, so I'll go through the steps on that one.

1. Download the XP drivers for your card. They're probably available from Dell. You need a .INF file and a .SYS file.

2. Download a program called ndiswrapper. If you're in Ubuntu you can have the OS download and install it for you with this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper ndiswrapper-utils
    3. Open up a terminal and navigate to the directory where your INF and SYS files are. Run this command, replacing your driver file name for "nameofyourfile":

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i nameofyourfile.INF
    4. Now write the changes to the appropriate places in your system configuration.

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -ma
    sudo ndiswrapper -mi
    Next time you reboot, you should see wireless connections in your Network Manager in the upper right hand side of the screen.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Thank you!!

Thank you very much...
    I will try this on my Linux Suse!! d

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Markalves1 View Post
    Thank you very much...
    I will try this on my Linux Suse!! d
    You're welcome. Just a small note: in SuSE you don't have to preface everything with "sudo." Instead, before you start typing any of your commands you need to log in as root user with this command (don't type the notes in <>):

Code:
    su - <press enter>
    Password: <enter your root (Administrator) password>
    Also, you'll need to install Ndiswrapper using YaST instead of the apt-get command above.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants