Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to compile a C++ project using KDevelop. It depends on a couple libraries (I have .la and .so versions). I went into the Automake Manager Target Options and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot open shared object file

I'm trying to compile a C++ project using KDevelop. It depends on a couple libraries (I have .la and .so versions). I went into the Automake Manager Target Options and added my libraries to "Link libraries outside project (LDADD)". My project now compiles fine, but as soon as it runs I get the error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libcv.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched Google and it said that I should create "soft links" to my libraries, but I don't have root privileges. Is there anyway I can tell my program where to look for the libraries, or somehow compile the libraries into my program so it doesn't have to load them at runtime?

There's some space to "Link convenience libraries INSIDE project" but I don't know how to add stuff to that box?? There's no add button beside it.

Help would be very much appreciated I'm a complete linux noob...I hope I posted this in the right thread (I'm running SuSE anyway).

Thanks,
    Mark

I think that the soft link option is what you want to stick with (at least that's what I would do). When you say you don't have root privileges do you mean that you yourself cannot become root (another person is your system admin) or that the compiling process occurs as a user? I think that if you are not the admin, you should tell your admin to make the link. Here is how it should go:

locate libcv.so* #this is just to be sure that libcv.so exists so that you can link to it

ln /path/to/libcv.so /path/to/libcv.so.1

If you absolutely can't make the link or get your admin to make the link then I'm not sure what to do.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!
    Yes, I mean I cannot become root. I guess I'll have to contact the admins then... my school takes a week to respond to anything :\ Kinda dumb that I can't run my own program without root privileges.. oh well. Thanks for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close