Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You are not booting from the CD. Or the CD was not burned correctly. As I said you must burn as an ISO image not just copy the ISO file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You are not booting from the CD.

Or the CD was not burned correctly. As I said you must burn as an ISO image not just copy the ISO file onto the CD.

If you did not burn as an ISO the CD will not boot and the computer will go to the next boot device which is the HD. Since there is no longer a OS on it the grub boot fails, the kernel is no longer there (you erased it)

BTW you did not have to erase the old OS the Ubuntu installer will over write the old one if you tell it to.

it is quite interesting, as your speech your burning is right, you have adjusted the boor options correctly but your computer still boots with Suse Linux.

If you are sure about boot option part, you can try to burn ISO to CD again, but at this time please try to butn it with slower speed.

Just Joined!
    my current boot order is:

ATAPI CD-Rom Drive
    Network Boot
    Removable Devices
    MBA UNDI (BusO Slot 3)
    Hard Drive

Just Joined!
    i dont think it is to do with the cd, because it works fine on the computer im using now, dell inspiron, however i have tried installing on this computer and after it collects the files it says it could not laoccte the files, very odd...ill try burning again

Just Joined!
    OMG thank you so much guys i really appreciate it its come up with ubuntu, the CD was bad after all.

Don't use the f12 use f1 and change the boot order in the BIOS.

I assume you are burning this on another system. So try booting off the CD on that system and see if it boots.

When you burn be sure to select the ISO image option. note it depends on the burning software exactly how this is labeled and where you find it.

Just Joined!
    well when the ubuntu screen came i i hit enter on the installation option, and it began installing, and i've left the laptop on for about 11 hours now and its still installing (i hope!)...the cd drive seems to be active so it may be taking the files still...however, just a matter of interest, how long will it take?

this duration duration depends on your computer components, but 1 1 hours is absolutely very long time to install ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    since it is a thinkpad t21 (very old)....is this normal?

Just Joined!
    i started the install last night at around 11:00 i think so it has been goin pretty long...what should i do?...should i just let it do whatver it is doing because the cd drive seems to be active and the loading light is flashing every time the cd drive light flashes....the screen is just black with an "_" flashing at the top left.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast