Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i was in the install and got as far as disk 2. then the system booted into linux without ever using disks 3, 4 or 5? why did it do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse 9.1 install question?

i was in the install and got as far as disk 2. then the system booted into linux without ever using disks 3, 4 or 5?

why did it do this and what is contaned on these disks and do i need to finish the install?

if so. what do i do next?

dont you hate newbies? lol

thanks, Ryan

Re: suse 9.1 install question?

Quote Originally Posted by yota83
    i was in the install and got as far as disk 2. then the system booted into linux without ever using disks 3, 4 or 5?

why did it do this and what is contaned on these disks and do i need to finish the install?

if so. what do i do next?

dont you hate newbies? lol

thanks, Ryan
    All the installer installs is what you selected, and more than likely you just went with the default install, which only uses the first 2 disks. You're welcome to install things off the other 3 (there's some really neat stuff on there, I've done it myself). To find out what you have installed and what you can install, use the YaST "Add or Remove Software" app. It gives you the option to look at software packages based on their category, and shows you the ones you have installed and ones that are available.

I recommend hitting the "Games" section first.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

yeh, u don't NEED all 5 disks to install, unless u do a FULL install, which i guess u didn't do. I go with techiemoe, try out some of the games, they're simple, but they're good to pass the time of day if u have nothing else to do!!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    thanks...

im setting this thing up to replace a computer at my wifes old shop for the new owners.. so it dosent have to do anything other than what it will be used for. checking email, getting online to receive orders and networking it to there already linux based server..

it will be replacing a PC that uses a program called putty to translate from linux to windows.

leading to my question:

the windows PC that is existing uses two network cards. one from the PC to a router that runs to the server and another from the PC to the DSL modem.
    the server is run on a dialup system with 5 or 6 seperate modems and is seup to be used only for sending and recieving orders to and from Telaflora.
    (ITS A FLOWER SHOP)

now the question?

is there still a need for the second network card with removing the windows PC and replacing it with a linux system?

i hope somone knows the answer to this.

thanks,Ryan

Just Joined!
    oh and techieMoe, the games are way better than what you get on windows..!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Just Joined!
    thanks...

im setting this thing up to replace a computer at my wifes old shop for the new owners.. so it dosent have to do anything other than what it will be used for. checking email, getting online to receive orders and networking it to there already linux based server..

it will be replacing a PC that uses a program called putty to translate from linux to windows.

leading to my question:

the windows PC that is existing uses two network cards. one from the PC to a router that runs to the server and another from the PC to the DSL modem.
    the server is run on a dialup system with 5 or 6 seperate modems and is seup to be used only for sending and recieving orders to and from Telaflora.
    (ITS A FLOWER SHOP)

now the question?

is there still a need for the second network card with removing the windows PC and replacing it with a linux system?

i hope somone knows the answer to this.

thanks,Ryan
    i figured it out...

it seems that Daisy who makes putty for windows dose not make a version for linux even though there entire system runs on linux.
    they make you have a PC that runs windows and a network that runs linux... kinda stupid if you ask me?

i dont know why they didnt just make it easy and go all linux...

putty is just an ssh client. Basicaly open a terminal and type in
    ssh <username>@<hostname/ip>

thats all.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    putty is just an ssh client. Basicaly open a terminal and type in
    ssh <username>@<hostname/ip>

thats all.

the guys at daisy said that it wouldnt work no matter what you do..
    i just switched the operating system back to windows XP.

oh well my firewall will be linux

I don't work for Daisy, but in my humble opinion, they have no idea what they're talking about. More than likely they just didn't want to have to deal with providing support for anything outside of their MS Windows comfort zone. But, whatever works for you business!
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe

I don't work for Daisy, but in my humble opinion, they have no idea what they're talking about. More than likely they just didn't want to have to deal with providing support for anything outside of their MS Windows comfort zone. But, whatever works for you business!
    yeah i agree..
    they just didnt want to deal with the issue of having to setup somthing they didnt know off the top of there head.
    basicly they said that you could probably find a way to do it but if you do they will not suport the system with there tech suport.

they just dont want to have to pay there techs to learn somthing new..

its kinda nice to be made to feel that you are smarter than the techs.
    but then again they do just hire yahoos off the street that dont know how to do anything other than read from a step by step manual for trouble shooting.. any monkey in a space suit could do that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast