Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just recently I decided to get rid of Windows due to the totally severe security flaws and the total messing up of applications after the release of SP2. I begain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse 9.1 Pro losing passwods

Just recently I decided to get rid of Windows due to the totally severe security flaws and the total messing up of applications after the release of SP2. I begain to install Suse 9.1 professional on my main box at home.

The install went well and everything seemed to look good, did the online update which also looked to go well, then I rebooted into root and also myaccount to check settings etc etc etc, that worked great for the first time of each.

After that, I rebooted once more and discovered that I the machine will not accept the passwords I specified for both root and my own account, at first the password for my personal account wouldnt work so I went into root and deleted that account then readded it (deleted the home dir as well). Tried to log in but no go, wouldnt accept it, then tried root and it wouldnt allow the root password.

It did allow me to go into failsafe mode and then start KDE from that point, opened a shell and checked the hdd integrity and it looked good, attempted to change/ reset passwords from there but still the same result.

I just dont get it. Help!!!!

System Specs:
    P4 2.53 ghtz cpu
    1 gig o ram
    Asus P4s8x mobo (been awhile since I bought it so the model number may be off)
    2 internal hdd (1- 80 gig) (2- 40 gig)
    1 external seagate 200 gig hdd
    17" NEC LCD Monitor set at 24 bit color and 1280 * 1024 res

Re: Suse 9.1 Pro losing passwods

Have you checked to make sure your CAPS LOCK isn't on? The issue seems to be with your passwords. Just a thought.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    of course I checked that first thing... matter of fact Suse puts up in HUGE RED LETTERS that the caps locks are on if they in fact are

Quote Originally Posted by pfusco
    of course I checked that first thing... matter of fact Suse puts up in HUGE RED LETTERS that the caps locks are on if they in fact are
    Don't take it personal; I often forget the little things. Just covering your bases.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    no worries, I just cant figure this out is all, got this same distro on my other dual p3 machine running great (except for the fact the scroll wheel on my trackball wont work lol)

Just Joined!
    look guys, Iwould love to get this resolved and to be honest it is pissing me off that each time I want to use this OS I have to boot into root and then create another user account because for what ever reason it is doesnt want to remember the account or just doesnt set it up correctly. Te cap locks are not on and I really like this OS otherwise. But if I cant get it fixed this issue will cause my confidence in this product to be shot to hell. I mean heck, if its not stable enough to keep a password/ user account working, what good is it ?

Just Joined!

remedy

Ok after doing some creative add/ drops of user accounts, it became quite apparent that eveb after several reinstalls that that module was corrupt or simply wont load correctly on this machine.

I found a nice utility on the web called webmin a while back and tried that apps account creation tool and since then I have had no issue with signing into the machine.