Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I'm Crowbar and I'm a Windows junkie. However, a completely new machine has rendered my borrowed copy of WinXP useless, and I have purchased SuSE 9.1 Professional. And ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Brand spanking new to Linux

Hello all. I'm Crowbar and I'm a Windows junkie. However, a completely new machine has rendered my borrowed copy of WinXP useless, and I have purchased SuSE 9.1 Professional. And now I'm in over my head. So I have a few newbie questions for you, I appreciate any help. Yes, I have read the manuals and done some research, but as I said, I'm a total Linux newbie and it's taking awhile to get the hang of how things work. I'm using KDE, by the way.
    My questions are:

1. How do I make the bookmarks toolbar go away in Konqueror without right clicking and removing it every new window?

2. I'm trying to install Unreal Tournament 2004 (6CD version). I copied the "linux-install" file to my home directory, and ran it from there, however I only get through CD1, upon inserting CD2 I can't continue the installation. The readme for UT2004 said to make sure I can mount discs, do I need to mount all 6 discs completely onto the hard drive before install?

3. How does WINE work and how do I install it?

4. SuSE is telling me that my 9800 Pro doesn't support 3D Acceleration, I assume I need some drivers. I downloaded the drivers from the ATI site in RPM format, and I thought I installed them, at least I now have ATI Control in my SuSE menu, but I still can't use 3D Acceleration. How do I fix this?

5. How do I clean out internet history, typed addresses, and the Konqueror cache?

Any and all help is appreciated. Hopefully when I get a handle on this I can be of help to others as well, but for now, I'm lost and confused.

1,5) They are in the Konqueror configuration (Tools menu, I believe).

2) You don't have to mount them all at the same time...you just have to mount them as you insert them, then umount them when you remove them.

Code:
    umount /mnt/cdrom
    ***Put CD2 in***
    mount /mnt/cdrom
    If /mnt/cdrom is your CDROM's mountpoint.

3) Wine provides a Windows API on top of Linux, allowing you to run some Windows apps on Linux. You can install it by getting the RPM or source tarball from http://winehq.com

4) You'll have to modprobe the driver and edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or xorg.conf) to use the ATI driver:

Code:
    su -
    modprobe fglrx
    vi /etc/X11/XF86Config
    You can use an easier editor than vi, but that's installed by default (should be anyways). In vi, hit "i" to enter insert mode, ESC to get back out. Then hit :w to write and :q to quit.

You'll want to find the part that looks like this:

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Stealth"
        Driver      "vesa"
        VideoRam    4096
        vendorname  "Diamond"
        boardname   "Stealth3d"
    EndSection
    You'll want to replace the Driver with fglrx. So, in that example, you would replace vesa.

Welcome to Linux and the forums! Hope to see you around, asking and learning.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

vi is a little touch , but vimtutor is handy in learning that just run vimtutor from the command line, nano is a simple editor that ive grown fond of for its simplicity. Vi is great for coding and the sort, but nano is excelent for moding of config files and the sort.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    okay, I've figured out #1 and #5.

The 3D Acceleration is the big thing I'm working on figuring out right now. As I said, I'm a complete newbie at Linux, so when you say type this in vi, I haven't the slightest idea what vi is or how I get to it. I'm running KDE. If vi is a terminal type of thing, I've got a choice of Konsole, Terminal Program- Super User Mode, X Terminal, and vte. If it's something else, I don't know where it is. I tried entering the command for that tutorial in the "run command" but nothing happened. I've downloaded a driver from ATI, but I'm not sure if I installed it, or if I did install it, if I installed it right. I now have "ATI Control" in my "start" menu, but when I run it it says that the program will only work partially. Maybe I just downloaded the wrong driver.

some new questions:
    #6: I downloaded Enemy Territory and America's Army, however both downloads now appear to be stuck at 99%. They've been "copying" the entire night. Do I need to do something to allow the download to finish? They're downloading off Fileplanet, so it's not like a p2p where the source logged off.

#7: I have an Athlon 64 system, but I accidentally installed the 32bit version of SUSE 9.1. If I install the 64bit version, will I have to format this version, or will it just install over or along with the 32bit version?

vi is a console-based text editor. You run it in either an xterm, konsole, etc. or from the command line (if you close out of X). If you edit your XF86Config in X, you'll have to restart X for the changes to show up.

6) That's a wierd problem...have you tried hitting pause then resume?

7) You'll be able to install it into the current directory structure, AFAIK, without formatting.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    Wine comes with SUSE 9.1 PRO you can install it by opening Yast then select software then select install remove. Then a window will open telling you that you need to be in administrator mode to make changes. Click the adminastrator mode button at the bottom then in the box that pops up enter your root password and hit enter. You will then get a search window type in wine and go from there.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Just Joined!
    If I remember correctly SuSE 9.1 uses xFree 4.4.* and ATI has only released Linux drivers for 4.1.0, 4.2.0, & 4.3.0.

I ran into the same issue with SuSE. Can't even play Tux Racer.