Find the answer to your Linux question:
i try to downloading ati 9200 driver but it just sits there and doesn't even let me save it or open it...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing ati drivers

i try to downloading ati 9200 driver but it just sits there and doesn't even let me save it or open it

Just Joined!
    I am also wondering about the ATI drivers. I've got a 9800 Pro and the ATI website gives me three drivers I can download, depending on my build of Linux. There is a tool that is supposed to tell me what build I have, but I can't figure out how to run it. I downloaded one of the drivers, and tried to install it, and I think it installed, but I still can't get SUSE to recognize that my card has 3D Acceleration. Anyone out there know anything about ATI drivers and SUSE?

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar.gc
    I am also wondering about the ATI drivers. I've got a 9800 Pro and the ATI website gives me three drivers I can download, depending on my build of Linux. There is a tool that is supposed to tell me what build I have, but I can't figure out how to run it. I downloaded one of the drivers, and tried to install it, and I think it installed, but I still can't get SUSE to recognize that my card has 3D Acceleration. Anyone out there know anything about ATI drivers and SUSE?
    I haven't used an ATI product since my last one blew up. No really, I'm serious. I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro from ATI (and spent a pretty penny doing so) because at the time the 9800 was the best performing card compared to Nvidia's offerings. Boy was that the wrong thing to do. Long story short, I booted up one morning to see no POST for my video card and a black screen. Opening my case revealed that the card had melted under its own heat due to a bad heat sink/fan design. We were not amused.

Back on topic, though, getting ATI drivers for anything above a 9200 is quite difficult, particularly since ATI doesn't officially support them. There's a petition to that effect here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html

That outlines some of the frustrations others have had, so you're not alone. Here's a broad description of how to get 3D drivers in SuSE working (not particular to ATI).

1. Download the appropriate RPM (ati) or script file (nvidia)
    2. Boot into failsafe (console) mode
    3. Log in as root and either install the rpm (rpm -i thing.rpm) or run the script (sh NVIDIA-blah-scriptname.sh)

Here's where the 2 diverge in my experience. With Nvidia, all you need to do here is run SaX2, click the "Enable 3D Acceleration" box under Display, save and you're good to go.

With ATI this is a little more difficult. You must now run (as root) the 'fglrx' command, which will ask you a set of questions, some of which you probably won't know the answer to. Just do the best you can and make sure you tell it to use the ATI GART module rather than the internal AGPGART.

Now you'll need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to make sure your card is using the "fglrx" driver rather than "radeon" or "ati".

Start up X Windows, and run 'fglrxinfo'. You *should* see the ATI Technologies, Inc drivers rather than the Mesa Project. If that's the case, congratulations; you've done better than me.

NOTE::Sorry I didn't say this before, but these ATI instructions are only what I've been told work for some people; I've had no luck getting them to work on my systems. Try them at your own risk.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks much for the information. I signed that petition. Looks like I'll just have to pop in my old GeForce 2 GTS, or perhaps just obtain a pirated copy of WinXP Pro to keep my gaming habit fed until ATI gets with the Linux program. Too bad, I'm really liking Linux. Once again, thanks so much for the help.