Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have any of you ever tried using XFCE desktop environment in SuSE? Been looking at it today and it look quite interesting. Just wondering what others’ experience is....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

XFCE in SuSE

Have any of you ever tried using XFCE desktop environment in SuSE?

Been looking at it today and it look quite interesting. Just wondering what others’ experience is.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Re: XFCE in SuSE

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    Have any of you ever tried using XFCE desktop environment in SuSE?

Been looking at it today and it look quite interesting. Just wondering what others’ experience is.
    I like XFce, but the default theme that comes with the SuSE version is ugly, IMHO. Slackware 9.1 came with a really nice theme for it by default. While you're playing around with different window managers, why not try out my favorite, Blackbox? It's tiny.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Not tried Blackbox, but I have used Fluxbox and I must say it is not bad. Is blackbox that different?

Only thing now is to work out how to add these other desktop managers to the menu in KDM. Either that or somehow get SuSE 9.1 to boot into GDM and configure that instead
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    Not tried Blackbox, but I have used Fluxbox and I must say it is not bad. Is blackbox that different?
    Not really. If you've used Fluxbox, it's just a little simpler version. Fluxbox has some features not present in Blackbox, as BB is focused on simply being as small as possible and offering only the very very bare basics. I just like the fact that it uses under 1MB of RAM. (Even though I have over a gigabyte of it )

Only thing now is to work out how to add these other desktop managers to the menu in KDM. Either that or somehow get SuSE 9.1 to boot into GDM and configure that instead
    Hmm.. that's a good question. I've usually just edited my .xinitrc to say either "exec startkde" or "exec blackbox". If there's a more elegant solution, I'd be happy to hear about it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants