Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone recommend some decently priced network cards (100mb/s transfer rate) that have drivers for linux available (for the latest kernel version is absolutally necessary too)? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Network cards for linux

Can anyone recommend some decently priced network cards (100mb/s transfer rate) that have drivers for linux available (for the latest kernel version is absolutally necessary too)?

Thanks

NetGear WG511T is supported by linux. You just hafta download some drivers from the net.
    -lakerdonald

Re: Network cards for linux

Quote Originally Posted by ICeMaN
    Can anyone recommend some decently priced network cards (100mb/s transfer rate) that have drivers for linux available (for the latest kernel version is absolutally necessary too)?

Thanks
    Are you looking for wired or wireless? You'll have much better luck with driver support for wired network cards. I've had good results with RealTek and Linksys wired cards, however Linksys wireless cards are a completely different story.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe

Thanks
    Are you looking for wired or wireless? You'll have much better luck with driver support for wired network cards. I've had good results with RealTek and Linksys wired cards, however Linksys wireless cards are a completely different story.
    i'm after wired

are belkin any good?

Just Joined!
    I have a belkin one that works just fine on suse (didn't need to download drivers, it just picked it up)

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud
    I have a belkin one that works just fine on suse (didn't need to download drivers, it just picked it up)
    i am thinking of getting this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=63323

Also i wonder if you can help me then, i am trying to install my internet on suse 9.1 personal and i'm not having any luck, what procedure did you use to get yours working?

i'm after wired

are belkin any good?
    The thing you need to watch for in Linux is not necessarily the brand name, but the chipset the card is based on. Certain chipsets don't work very well with Linux. For the record, though, I have yet to find a *wired* chipset that doesn't work.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thats the one I have iceman.

I got the internet working easily through a network (internet connection provided by XP pro setup to be an ICS server).
    Once it recognises your network card, just go into the configuration (through yast) and fill in the necessary fields (IP, default gateway, DNS settings, etc).

That should be all you need to do...