Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to linux as the title states. Recently i have been messing around with Suse 9.1 trying to get one of my partitions to mount. now, all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse Newbie Help!!

I am very new to linux as the title states. Recently i have been messing around with Suse 9.1 trying to get one of my partitions to mount. now, all of a sudden all these problems surface. I have posted in other forums with no answer to my posts. I was hoping this forum would be "My knight in shining armor".
    Anyways, i have 3 problems that i dont know how to fix.

1. Whenever i try to enter Yast or super user mode, anything that requires a password, after i enter the right password an error displays stating "The program su is not found. Make sure you PATH is set correctly." what does this mean exactly? How do i regain access?

2. Whenever i click on an icon like Mozilla or Help Center the program starts running then stops. What causes this error? Is it linked to the above problem?

3. The partition that i mounted has a "lock" icon on it and will not let me into it. What do I do to get access?

I would really like some help from anyone and will greatly appreciate it. Hope someone can help me, Thank You.

Some of these questions do not make sense. I think that you are calling things partitions that might be something else. I think that you need to ask a more specific question to get an answer maybe cut and paste a screen shot of something you are concerned about. It is much easier to answer a question than it is to answer a question with a questions such as "What the H$#@ are you asking?"

Mike

Re: Suse Newbie Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadpickle
    1. Whenever i try to enter Yast or super user mode, anything that requires a password, after i enter the right password an error displays stating "The program su is not found. Make sure you PATH is set correctly." what does this mean exactly? How do i regain access?
    This sounds like a settings problem. I'd recommend either deleting your user account and re-adding it (log in as root) or completely reinstalling.

2. Whenever i click on an icon like Mozilla or Help Center the program starts running then stops. What causes this error? Is it linked to the above problem?
    Try this: open up a console and type mozilla and copy/paste the error message you see into the forum so we can help you figure this out.

3. The partition that i mounted has a "lock" icon on it and will not let me into it. What do I do to get access?
    What program are you using to mount/umount your drives? Is the drive a MS Windows (NTFS) partition? Are you trying to access it as a normal user or root?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    how can i delete my users from the console (Alt+Ctrl+F6)? I cant enter YaST to do it.
    I used the Suse console commands to mount the drives (mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5). The partition is an NTFS partition.
    I'll get the error posted as soon as possible. thanks for replying, I thought i was out of luck.