Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I am a Linux use for 1 day. I have read your forums and for most of it I don't understand what you Linux gurus are saying. Anyway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another new user

Hi there, I am a Linux use for 1 day. I have read your forums and for most of it I don't understand what you Linux gurus are saying. Anyway hear are the problems I am encountering. PLEASE try and explain to me in simple language.

#1. I have loaded mine as a dual system but I cannot get into window xp the error message I get is NTLDR is missing.

#2. My internal modem is not shown so how do I go to the video card website to download the Linux drivers?

#3. I was told that I need an external modem for Linux is this true?

I think this is my main concern for now. But I am sure there will be more.

Re: Another new user

Quote Originally Posted by rasheedk
    Hi there, I am a Linux use for 1 day. I have read your forums and for most of it I don't understand what you Linux gurus are saying. Anyway hear are the problems I am encountering. PLEASE try and explain to me in simple language.

#1. I have loaded mine as a dual system but I cannot get into window xp the error message I get is NTLDR is missing.
    Did this problem exist before or after you installed Linux? The problem here is that MS Windows can't find its boot loader. One way to fix this (although it will wipe out whatever boot loader Linux put on there) is to boot with your MS Windows disc, go into a recovery console and type in FIXMBR. That will wipe the Master Boot Record and MS Windows should start. The downside is that you'll lose access to your Linux partition.

Are your MS Windows and Linux partitions on the same hard drive or different drives?

More than likely what's happening is that your bootloader for Linux is misconfigured. I'm not any good at that so you'll probably need to search the forum elsewhere on that topic.

#2. My internal modem is not shown so how do I go to the video card website to download the Linux drivers?
    What type of modem is it? Is it not showing up at all, or is it just not configured properly? Did it show up during your install?

#3. I was told that I need an external modem for Linux is this true?
    No, Linux works with most internal hardware just fine. More than likely the person who told you this didn't want to have to configure your internal modem.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem as in question one, could you post the whole error please? (just to be sure)

Don't do fixmbr or fixboot, i did and it broke windows and linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud
    I had the same problem as in question one, could you post the whole error please? (just to be sure)

Don't do fixmbr or fixboot, i did and it broke windows and linux
    FIXMBR does not break XP. In fact, it fixes it. *However* it does render your Linux partition unbootable because it wipes out the GRUB/LILO install in the Master Boot Record.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok, it didn't break xp, it left it broken, didn't help the problem

The problem was the way yast had written the partition tables, which for some reason caused xp to fail booting.

Just Joined!

modem = 56K PCI modem

My modem (according to the booklet) is 56K PCI Modem. I have read thru the and it reads that the operating systems is supports is all window. Does this mean I have to get a new modem or can I do something to make the one I've got work?

Re: modem = 56K PCI modem

Quote Originally Posted by rasheedk
    My modem (according to the booklet) is 56K PCI Modem. I have read thru the and it reads that the operating systems is supports is all window. Does this mean I have to get a new modem or can I do something to make the one I've got work?
    ALL hardware out there today claims it only supports MS Windows. (With only a few notable exceptions.) This doesn't mean anything necessarily. However, if your modem is what's called a software "WinModem" that means it needs special drivers. They do exist for Linux, but I'm not entirely sure where you get them.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

loading drivers onto pc

How do I load these new drivers onto my pc? Can I use my usb ports? How do I know whether my usb port are working?