Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

suSE 9.1 win xp quest

I can view my xp shared files from linux , how would I view my linux shares through xp

Re: suSE 9.1 win xp quest

Quote Originally Posted by Setritus
    I can view my xp shared files from linux , how would I view my linux shares through xp
    The short answer is: you can't. MS Windows doesn't like the file systems that Linux likes to use.

You could format a partition on your harddrive in a scheme that XP likes (like FAT32) and put all your shared data there. Linux reads and writes FAT32 just fine, and so does MS Windows. However, at the moment Linux can only read NTFS and writing to it can be dangerous. Formatting a FAT32 partition is probably your safest course, unless you just want to burn the data to CD or DVD and swap between the two.
    Registered Linux user #270181

Just Joined!
    I am knew to linux but with Mandrake 10.0 I had set up Samba server on the linux box and my XP machine could view the files fine. I just never figured out the permissions to write to the linux share.

I am sure one of the more experienced people on the forum could help with that. But with Mandrake this was as easy as sharing a folder in Windows.

Not tried it since I moved over to SuSE though. Just cos I haven't had the need to.

David

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Setritus
    The short answer is: you can't. MS Windows doesn't like the file systems that Linux likes to use.

You could format a partition on your harddrive in a scheme that XP likes (like FAT32) and put all your shared data there. Linux reads and writes FAT32 just fine, and so does MS Windows. However, at the moment Linux can only read NTFS and writing to it can be dangerous. Formatting a FAT32 partition is probably your safest course, unless you just want to burn the data to CD or DVD and swap between the two.
    I believe that he's referring to a network share, in which case DavidRiley's answer is correct. You can use samba to share files over the network for windex boxen to view (some have even said that samba works better than the M$ sharing!).

Also, you CAN view ext2 and ext3 partitions in windex. There is a program called explorer2fs that enables this to happen.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    I believe that he's referring to a network share, in which case DavidRiley's answer is correct. You can use samba to share files over the network for windex boxen to view (some have even said that samba works better than the M$ sharing!).
    Ah. Networking isn't something I do.

Also, you CAN view ext2 and ext3 partitions in windex. There is a program called explorer2fs that enables this to happen.
    Well, I wasn't aware of that! You learn something new every day.
    Registered Linux user #270181