Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a couple of questions. The first is I download the source tarball of nmap and *****x and tried to install them but i tried to configure it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sort of new to the linux world. Please help.

Hi I have a couple of questions. The first is I download the source tarball of nmap and *****x and tried to install them but i tried to configure it via ./configure it states that i dont have gcc install, so i download the gcc tarball and it said i needed a c compile to install. So i tried to install it with yast and nothing. Any suggestions? and the second question is why does Konqueror load pages so slow, but my downloads and etc are at normal speed?

Thanks in advance,
    Justin Simpson.

What exactly does yast do when you try to install gcc? Are you using it to try to install the gcc tarball (I'm not sure how yast works)? If so, that won't work. To install from a tarball, you need a c compiler (as tarballs are USUALLY source code). See the catch-22? Install a gcc binary to get rolling (rpm, etc.).

Not sure about the Konqueror thing...are you getting this in other browsers? And do you have a large latency when you ping a hostname?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Hi

I too am fairly new to Linux. I had the same problem and cured it by:

Open YAST as root.

Select Install and Remove Software

When the utility opens, on the left hand side near the top there is a drop down menu that will probably say search. Click the drop down and select "Selections".

There you will see a list of files in groups, inlcuding C Compiler components. I installed that, have your install disc handy, and then had an error concerning a missing GTK 1.2.2 file when I again tried to compile the source files.

It was probably overkill but I then selected everything in "Selections" and installed it. From then on I was able to install apps from source packages without too many problems.

Hope this is of use.

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks, I got the gcc problem fixed. Much Appericated