Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Well, I've just installed SuSE 9.1 and its been going alright, but there are a couple of problems that I have... 1) if I log on as 'root' Yast ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

some problems for a linux newbie

Hello

Well, I've just installed SuSE 9.1 and its been going alright, but there are a couple of problems that I have...

1) if I log on as 'root' Yast comes up immediately, and as soon as I click close, I get logged off...should this be happening?

2) I connect to the internet using a router (connected to a 56K modem) but I cant reach the external interface of the router....I mean I can bring up the web interface of the router, tell it to dial up, but I cant visit any websites, how can I set it up...By the way If i plug the modem into a COM port on the computer it works fine. I set up the gateway under 'routing' but still nothing...am I missing something?

3) there are some packages that just will not install, they are kdeartwork and recode..they simply will not install, and if I install any new software package they try to install from the SuSE installation CD, but then return an error...is that a common problem?

your help is much appreciated guys.

Re: some problems for a linux newbie

Quote Originally Posted by keemo
    1) if I log on as 'root' Yast comes up immediately, and as soon as I click close, I get logged off...should this be happening?
    On the login screen click "Menu" Then select "Session Type" and select a WM KDE or gnome then try logging in.

Hope this helps, but i'm not sure bout the other questions.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Guru

3) there are some packages that just will not install, they are kdeartwork and recode..they simply will not install, and if I install any new software package they try to install from the SuSE installation CD, but then return an error...is that a common problem?
    It might help if you actually said what the error message is?

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    It might help if you actually said what the error message is?
    Well, it asks me to insert the installation CD if I do it will try to install but then gives the following message "Those applications returned an error" and lists kdeartmwork and recode....cheers

2) I connect to the internet using a router (connected to a 56K modem) but I cant reach the external interface of the router....I mean I can bring up the web interface of the router, tell it to dial up, but I cant visit any websites, how can I set it up...By the way If i plug the modem into a COM port on the computer it works fine. I set up the gateway under 'routing' but still nothing...am I missing something?
    What are the contents of you /etc/resolv.conf?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Um..My hard drive failed so im using my old windows box now...I'll try installing SuSE later and I'll let you know how I go

Thanks for your help anyway!