Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have a few queries regarding this task, I'll endeavour to explain my predicament as clearly and concisely as possible: I have a PC with Windows ME installed on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newb in need of help

Hello

I have a few queries regarding this task, I'll endeavour to explain my predicament as clearly and concisely as possible:

I have a PC with Windows ME installed on one hard drive (C: 7gb) and Suse linux personal 7.1 on another hard drive (D: 30gb).

The system uses XOSL to select which operating system I start when I turn the machine on.

I didn't perform the original installation of these two OS's and their boot manager and thus am a little confused how to procede with what I want to do.

I would like to uninstall the Linux (if thats possible I'm clueless when it comes to Linux) lose the boot manager, format both disks and install Windows XP on the machine so that it is on both disks (No linux).

Im pretty confident about how to format drive C: and install XP on it but how can I format drive D: with the Linux on it and lose the XOSL boot manager?

Here are the system specs (try not to laugh Wink)

EPOX KP6-BS dual P2 400
    256mb memory
    ATI Rage pro turbo AGP 2x
    Voodoo 2
    Creative DVD ROM
    Lite on CD burner
    TWA 1A-300 ADSL network card
    7GB Maxtor
    30GB Maxtor

Re: Newb in need of help

Quote Originally Posted by red venom
    I didn't perform the original installation of these two OS's and their boot manager and thus am a little confused how to procede with what I want to do.

I would like to uninstall the Linux (if thats possible I'm clueless when it comes to Linux) lose the boot manager, format both disks and install Windows XP on the machine so that it is on both disks (No linux).

Im pretty confident about how to format drive C: and install XP on it but how can I format drive D: with the Linux on it and lose the XOSL boot manager?

Here are the system specs (try not to laugh Wink)

EPOX KP6-BS dual P2 400
    256mb memory
    ATI Rage pro turbo AGP 2x
    Voodoo 2
    Creative DVD ROM
    Lite on CD burner
    TWA 1A-300 ADSL network card
    7GB Maxtor
    30GB Maxtor
    What you want to do sounds like a clean install of MS Windows XP. The system you've listed will run XP, but just barely. All you have to do is boot with the XP CD, go through the installer, and it should give you some options as to what partition you want to use. Delete the partitions that are on there now, and create 2 new partitions (one for each harddrive). There are instructions on the screen how to do this. Format both drives as NTFS (not quick since it's an old system and you want it to check your drives for errors). I recommend that you use the 7GB drive as the partition you install XP on and install any programs onto the 30GB drive. The boot loader will be wiped when XP installs, so you don't need to delete it explicitly.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks I'll give it a try. Do you think I would be better running windows 2000 on this system? Is that the same process as the XP install?

Just Joined!
    Also I read that its possible to uninstall Linux and XOSL, shouldn't I do this before installing XP or W2k?

PS I dont mean to discredit linux as an OS here Im going to be using linux in the future on different machines I just need windows on this one

Quote Originally Posted by red venom
    Also I read that its possible to uninstall Linux and XOSL, shouldn't I do this before installing XP or W2k?
    Uninstalling something when all you're going to be doing is wiping the hard drive is redundant and unnecessary. It's like cleaning your old sneakers before throwing them in the trash.

On the issue of XP or W2k, it depends on what you want to do with your OS. W2k has slightly lower system requirements but will not run some older MS Windows applications, however in my experience it has been less prone to random crashing than XP Home. XP Pro is better, but more expensive and takes up more system resources. The installer is almost identical in 2000 and XP.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Uninstalling something when all you're going to be doing is wiping the hard drive is redundant and unnecessary. It's like cleaning your old sneakers before throwing them in the trash.
    Well thats pretty cool.

So I could wipe the disks and repartition with the windows 2000 installer too?

I need to run visual studio.net on it hence the upgrade to win 2000 or XP

Just Joined!

Newb in need of help

Yes. You can do the same with Windows 2000.