Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install openSUSE 10.3 from the CD, and having difficulty when it comes to the main repository (OSS). I receive the following error: Code: Download failed. Curl ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy SOLVED: Initial install build of repositories fails

I am trying to install openSUSE 10.3 from the CD, and having difficulty when it comes to the main repository (OSS). I receive the following error:

Code:
    Download failed.
    Curl error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:10.3/standard/suse/setup/descr/apparmor-10.3-159.i586.pat.gz':
    Error code: Timeout reached
    Error message: Callback aborted
    I thought this might be a sporadic communications glitch, so I waited two days and then tried again - with the same result. It appears to be successfully downloading a lot of stuff (gets to 84% complete before this failure), which seems odd to me.

Since this is during an install phase, I don't believe I have many troubleshooting options (correct?) ... doesn't seem to be any opportunity to (for example) open a terminal and run some commands, so I don't know how to diagnose.

I went through the installation once in spite of this error, and ended up with a truly minimal system, which I could not figure out how to "embellish." For example, the make package was not installed, and was not listed as an available package. I have another 10.3 SuSE installation where I didn't have this problem, and it has a ton of installed packages that don't seem to be available after this problem.

Couple of other things: the first time I tried this, I was in Northeastern US (Pennsylvania), and now, two days later, I'm in Southeast (Georgia). I tried to search this forum for help. How disappointing is the search capability here!!!!

I'd appreciate any advice you may have to get past this error - or to make up for it after installation completes....

Thanks,
    D
    ----
    Solution: (Applies to 10.3 ONLY)
    From the YaST Control Center, Software section, choose Software Repositories...
    Click Add button
    Choose "Specify URL"
    Name this repository "Main Repository (NON-OSS)"
    Enter the URL:
    Index of /distribution/10.3/repo/non-oss

Set Repository to Enabled, Automatically Refresh, and click Refresh Now (which really means, "Refresh at Finish").

Now click Add again, choose "Specify URL"
    Name this repository "Main Repository (OSS)"
    Enter the URL:
    Index of /distribution/10.3/repo/oss

Set Repository to Enabled, Automatically Refresh, and click Refresh Now (which really means, Refresh at Finish").

Click on Finish... then the fun of choosing packages may begin.

May it serve you well....
    D
    Last edited by delovelady; 11-15-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Provide solution, set subject to SOLVED