Find the answer to your Linux question:
The motherboard on my small server has gone belly up. I was considering replacing the motherboard, processors and memory and reusing the existing scusi drives, network and video card. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MotherBoard Belly Up

The motherboard on my small server has gone belly up. I was considering replacing the motherboard, processors and memory and reusing the existing scusi drives, network and video card. My Linux OS is fairly old SuSe 7.2. and it primarily supports Oracle.

My questions are:

1, Will this approach work without a reinstallation, and/or
    2, Will I need to reconfigure anything?

Roger

If you replace it with an identical board it should be fine. If you replace it with a different or newer board you can expect the kernel to require extra drivers. SUSE 7.2 used the older 2.4 kernel so hardware support was a very different ballgame back then.

I suspect you will require a reinstall with a newer distro or release of SUSE.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I built a new system a few months back with all new and totally different hardware, then restored partition images from my previous system to the new system hard drive. Then, I crossed my fingers, rebooted, and it all came up running perfectly on the first boot. I was running the latest kernel, however.

Windows would have totally choked trying to do something like that, so hurray for Linux!

Unless you were running a customized kernel with limited driver support, and except for the reasons mentioned above by BigTomRodney, I see no reason that your project won't work as well.

Anyway, do let us know how it goes for you.
    oz