Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
okay tried a few things, first I believe I see why you are led to belive that it is a video problem by the "creating x config" command line and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

okay tried a few things, first I believe I see why you are led to belive that it is a video problem by the "creating x config" command line and then the "(none): /#" line,,,okay so I tried typing in after running OpenSuSE in different modes including failsafe and each with the same result, was hoping that the "(none):/#" would of been a command prompt or something like that were I could type in what the site said "Sudo aticonfig --initial" well at that "(none):/#" it would appear my computer is locked, can type anything nore even use the alt-ctrl-del or alt-ctrl-backspace to reset the computer, its totaly locked every time I run OpenSuSE.

To Further help this post is there any way that I can send/print my screen output of the command lines of OpenSuSE to a file so i can use it in windows and then post here to hopefully clear up what is going on, perhaps in my uneducated ways of Linux/OpenSuSE im missing somthing that is important that would clear everything up.

Thank Larry

Just Joined!
    Have you tried to get an old pci card with an nvidia chip and tried to find a windows driver to install it? Does that Dell so love its old ati that it could not love another?

First off, Happy Thanksgiving. I was under the impression since you were using the word install that this was a install. Glad thats cleared up and I am now assuming this is a live cd boot problem. Guess what, if acpi=off won't boot up a live cd, its time to move on to another distro or like thorkelljarl said, try a different card. Please give a list of distros you burned and tried to boot without success so Members won't suggest something you have already tried. Some Linux plays good with some hardware, others don't.

As far as copying and pasting Notepad errors in your post. Drag and drop Notepad entry to usb stick, though I am not sure if Windows can open and read it, so you can copy and past in post using Windows. I have never tried doing this. My method was to write down on a piece of paper all the lines and then painstakingly type each line out in my post. But I am a Biker, not a programmer, so I take the Neanderthal approach to things dealing with computers.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Another idea. If you have an empty pci slot and can find a card linux likes, but without a Windows driver, you can put it in also, leaving it uninstalled in Windows, and see if openSUSE or another live-cd can be made to boot with it If so, with both cards in, boot Windows and see if Windows works. If necessary, in Hardware, under System under Control(?) it should be possible to block the new card as a device. If SUSE 11.0 live-cd with both woun't choose the new card at boot, remove the ati card, and if you find that everything works and you want to install SUSE, do so. Go to Administative Settings, Hardware, Graphic Cards etc.,and note what SUSE lists the card as. Ask someone or Google to find out what file determines that this card is chosen at boot, and copy it. Find out how to use this information to edit SUSE to boot using the new card. Thereafter put both cards in again, boot SUSE, and each OS should use its own card. Windows might find the new card when it boots as a new device, but you could ignore that. More work than with a driver,but maybe not too hard to try.

Just Joined!
    I appericate the replys, sorry about the mix up as in the install thought that stating Live CD was only for trying out Linux, again sorry about that. As for trying another video card no I dont have another and just paid 35 for this one over top of that dells are crap, and altho I wish i could get another computer I cant. First dells in bios only have two selections for onboard video onboard and auto, no way to disable it which is screwy and yes have the most current verison to bios, also the dell dimension 2400 had no agp or pci-e slot only pci and the pci slot is very picky on what works with it, on an example I can turn off my computer and let it set for a second and the next time it wont boot on the video card, so I turn it off and the next time it will run or repeat till it does, and as I was informed by dell tech, some say it will work with a video card others say it wont, when googled about video cards there were two that worked okay with dell and they both were ati, there were others that tried nvida but its around 50/50 as in the machine will work with them or not, I have no idea why this is except to say that dell machines are dumbed down not to work (being nice).
    Okay other version's of LIVE cd's Ive tried, so far are Debian,bsd,Knoppix, and the last one was Ubuntu which all have not worked, on the knoppix one tho i was extremly confused on which one i was supposed to download, there site give a great many with no reference, so I went by all that were 600mb or higher and tried them all, god im glad i have RW-cd's, anyways I cant get a new machine, cant afforad another video card which in the end I would probably need several to try till one works, my wife would smash this thing first even tho she loves playing games.
    Im getting the impression that basicly im up crap creek so to speak,,,well im not going to give up I believe there has to be a way. Hope somthing or someone can head me in the right direction. Thank again for everyones time and post it is much appericated.

Larry

Okay, Its good ya got some RW's. First one I would try to burn and install, is Simply Mepis.Where to Download MEPIS | MEPIS

2nd would be Mandriva . Download | Mandriva

Third would be Puppy Dingo (cuz it worked on my Amrel, Just google how rare that laptop computer is) Puppy Linux Dingo 4..00 Final is here! | Puppy Linux

And if non of those work maybe try Linux Mint, Download - Linux Mint

Lastly look through this link for your laptop and what distros booted up successfully on it. Its a bit outdated but still a good reference.
    Linux on Laptops

Good luck Lawrence. I'm sure some other members will come up with some suggestions.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks again roj,,,this is a desktop tho not a notebook, dont know if that means a whole lot,,,but will try all the ones that you reccomened and let ya know what happens,,,again thank you for all your time and post to help me out!

I only have IBM Desktops, a M41 and a M57 arriving Dec2. I had a old Dell something or another tower that I loaded Windows 2000 on because the buyer heard Linux and made a face like I called their mother a bad name. They called me a week later, they trashed it using Limewire with no AV, (I had told them where to get it for free). Thanks for the thanks. Happy Thanksgiving
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I didn't know you had another thread going in the Newbie section. I had to learn you have onboard graphics but yoiu are using your pci card instead.

Humor me by connecting your moniter to onboard VGA plug on motherboard when you try to run the Live cds I suggested earlier. You can load the ATI Driver after you get a working screen going while in Live mode.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast