Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Okay had a post but cant find it anywere, must have been deleted. I have a Dell dimension 2400 2.4 ghz with 1 gig ram, ati 256 PCI video card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Live CD installation Help OpenSuSE

Okay had a post but cant find it anywere, must have been deleted. I have a Dell dimension 2400 2.4 ghz with 1 gig ram, ati 256 PCI video card (not PCI-E or AGP), have a 100 gig hard drive which windows xp is on (clean install home version). Downloaded OpenSuSE from suggested site's many a times thinking that there may have been an error, yes it got to the screen for the data check on the disk ran that and it said 100% ok. Also tried what someone said on my other post which was running in different screen modes, tried all of them from text to the one it boots up to which is 1280 somthing, all of them did not work. Did run for a while but always only make it to the point were is says: "creating x config" then clears the screen and in certain screen modes says "(none):/#", also have tried the mode below OpenSuSE 11. think that mode was like a safe mode but that also did not work. Have run this many times and read alot that last 3 days but cant figure out what I am doing wrong. There was one part when it ran that showed that it falied instead of done, tried many time to write it all down but it goes to quick, havent beed able to stop the screen to see what it said,,, but it was something about "clockhwclock" and somthing about "noad j file" also somthing about a option to choose but of course i did not get the choice, it always came up as faild. I have read post after post including the newbie post and am still lost as to what I am doing wrong. Can some one please help!

Linux Guru
    Got this from the Ubuntu Site Forum. It may work for you or not.

I just got a used Dimension 2400 P4 2.2 with 512MB of ram that I'm configuring as a home server running Xubuntu. The live CD worked fine, but the installation had display problems-- a blank screen instead of a boot splash, and huge (40 column?) text in terminal mode. It would occasionally hang forever at a black screen during boot as well.

Going into the BIOS (<f2> at boot) and changing the 'Onboard Video Buffer' from 1MB to 8MB solved the problem at the cost of some main ram. The video buffer option is under the 'Integrated Devices (LegacySelect Options)' menu in the Dell BIOS.

Just Joined!
    Thank you I will try that but dont think that is the problem but am willing to try anything, OpenSeSE does got to the green screen that says welcome then to the one were it lets me chose OpenSeSE 11 and other choice's, it then will goto were it shows the green screen and the white progress bar, but ive been hitting {esc} so i can transfer to text screen, of course on the other tries were i was in text mode I did not have to do that. Also keep in mind that my moniter is hooked up to my ati video card. but will try thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Found this helpful link at our own forum.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...-suse-9-a.html

Linux Guru
    I don't run open suse Lawrence, so the best I can do is shotgun google and see if something hits or works.

mario carrion opensuse

Just Joined!
    I thank you for that post. Ive tried resetting the video cash to 8mb that did not do it. As for the post my screen as never went blank. It runs for quite a bit and as stated in the 1st post gets to this:

creating x config

pause for a few then clears the screen and says this:

(none):/#

also to add to my first post the part about somthing failing in the same line it said something about "--utc" and "--local" not sure what any of that is. And again thanks for the other post including the site will further read about it, but I am not using a lcd screen either Im using a ViewSonic PF775 moniter

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence722002 View Post
    I thank you for that post. Ive tried resetting the video cash to 8mb that did not do it. As for the post my screen as never went blank. It runs for quite a bit and as stated in the 1st post gets to this:

creating x config

pause for a few then clears the screen and says this:

(none):/#

also to add to my first post the part about somthing failing in the same line it said something about "--utc" and "--local" not sure what any of that is. And again thanks for the other post including the site will further read about it, but I am not using a lcd screen either Im using a ViewSonic PF775 moniter
    Before booting try acpi=off

Just Joined!
    Okay ran the second option for OpenSuSE 11 the safe one,,,that was the only way to make sure acpi=off, it seemed to go a little farther but again same thing "(none):/#" appeared and nothing more. Looked in Bios just in case there was a way to turn acpi to off but there was'nt, also tried at 1mb cashe and 8mb cashe both with same result's

Linux Guru
    acpi=off is a kernel modification. I could've mentioned sooner. Somebody with some CLI knowledge of modifying xorg conference needs to jump in here. Here is Open Suses explanation on why their distro does'nt come with ATI Drivers and how you are supposed to install em.

ATI - openSUSE

Just Joined!
    Again thank you much for that post, okay day 4. First that post is informative but I dont have OpenSuSE installed yet, running from a Live CD to see if I can get Linux to work and if I would like it for the excat reason of what is happing. I have tried other dist and none have worked, so far OpenSuSE has made it the most thru the install/running but has not run. To note on the above post Im still reading but must mention that the ati card i have is a old card as stated before it is PCI not PCI-E or agp, I need this card due to the crapy onboard video that dell uses and all the issues with that which is worst then using the ati card. Im trying to figure out why you think this is a video problem so I have better understanding of this, as you I have googled day after day and read post after post with no solutions as of yet!. Remember I am new to this (4 days old now) and have next to no understanding of linux except for the things Im picking up, but again Im willing to try anything so as in reading the above post I am clueless of how to install a driver when I am running a live Cd and have not got it to run all the way, and the idea of doing it the "hard way" I have to have it working first, so again I am lost but will continue reading and hope that someone to will help with this.

Thank again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast