Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I followed the Pendrive instructions How to Install SUSE to a USB Flash Drive | USB Pen Drive Linux and I installed Live CD Suse 10.3 KDE to my USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse 10.3 on USB Ext. HD boot problem

I followed the Pendrive instructions

How to Install SUSE to a USB Flash Drive | USB Pen Drive Linux

and I installed Live CD Suse 10.3 KDE to my USB Ext Drive. I got to the point where I booted without the CD. When I got to the last step of the instructions (step 17), which said to try to boot. I did and it booted up in Suse. I then restarted and when the reboot options screen (suse, windows 1, windows 2, etc.) opened again, I selected windows 1 to try to boot in Vista. It then said :

root noverifry (hd2,6)
    chainloader (hd0,1)+1

a disk read error occurred
    Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

I did that and nothing happens. I turned off the computer with the switch. Restarted and tried to reboot in windows 2, but the same thing happens. How do I boot up in Windows Vista?
    Last edited by JimHebert; 12-02-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: title correction

Did you unplug the drive?

Just Joined!
    It makes no difference if the drive is plugged in or not. Suse boots up but Windows Vista never boots up anymore. I've tried the different Window 1, window 2, window 3 options but get the same root noverify ..... message I mentioned in the last post.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    This morning, I turn on my computer and I get a black screen saying " grub loading..please wait. Error 21." I waited a few minutes but nothing happened. I hit ctrl +alt+del and it did the same thing.

Just Joined!
    I have just tried to do another CD installation. I got to the part where I clicked on the installation button on the desktop. I got to step 4 in the left panel called Perform Installation. The Title on top of the window was "preparing your hard disk". In the window there was a pop-up "error: Failure occurred during following action. Deleting partition /dev/sdb8 System error code 1014." I clicked on OK. The screen returned to my desktop. Couldn't proceed any farther.

Linux Guru
    1. Did you complete steps 18-23 listed on the installation page?
    2. Priior to trying to install Open Suse to USB, what operating system(s) did you have?
    3. Did you unplug your main drive(s) prior to install of Open Suse?
    4. What bootloader are you/have you been using? Your first post shows a Grub error with windows on the second hardrive, 7th partition?

Use you install CD, open a terminal and as root enter the command 'fdisk -l' to show partition information. With Open Suse 10.3 there should be a Rescue System, select that and get Rescue Login, enter 'root', get Rescue# prompt where you enter the command.

Grub Error 21 : Selected disk does not exist
    This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full file name refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the BIOS in the system.

Do you have another Open Suse on the main drive(s) or just the USB? Can you still boot Open Suse?

Stop stop stop

What happened was what we discussed in the first place. You replaced the boot sector on the hard drive and did not create a boot sector on the USB. Most likely because you did not follow the instruction on disconnecting the internal hard drive. I know this is difficult with a laptop.

First replug the USB and see if you boot into Suse.

You might also want to get a Super Grub disk
    Super Grub Disk Webpage
    It may allow you to place grub on the USB (note I myself have never tried this)

Unplug the USB and take your Vista disk, boot from it and do a repair. Look at your screens very carefully because the option is well hidden.

here is step by step
    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
    BTW you can use any Vista Disk you can lay hands on here.

Consider this your baptism since everyone that knows about computers as screwed up a OS installation at least once

Just Joined!
    To YANCEK:
    1. The “How to ..” instructions with step 17. See my first post for URL.
    2. On my internal HD I have (had) Vista. I was trying to install Suse on my USB External HD.
    3. I could not disconnect my internal drive prior because it is a laptop. I don’t know how to physically disconnect it. How can the author of the instructions expect anyone to know how to do that? Not everyone carries a screwdriver around.
    4. I’m not sure what “bootloader” means, but I used a Live CD Suse 10.3 KDE

I tried to enter Fdisk –l on the terminal but nothing happens. I tried inserting spaces before and after the dash and still nothing. I know it is not the number 1 but the letter small L.

I only have Suse 10.3 on that USB ext. HD and not on any other drives. No, Suse does not boot up anymore. I can only boot up with Live CD.

Just Joined!
    To Gogalthorp:

You say: “You replaced the boot sector on the hard drive and did not create a boot sector on the USB. Most likely because you did not follow the instruction on disconnecting the internal hard drive. I know this is difficult with a laptop.”

Yes, I don’t know how to open my new laptop. I have never opened a computer. I wouldn’t attempt that. I’m not a technician. I had seen that part about disconnecting in the instructions but asked myself, “How am I supposed to do that with my laptop?” , surely the author of those instructions can't be so naive to believe that anyone can do this, then I thought maybe I would get to that step as a software disconnect with a click of the mouse, later in the installation. Why didn’t the writer of those instructions consider people are not all technicians that know about machinery. But yes, I should have stopped. You’re right. but I thought you knew I had a laptop. I had given the model number, etc. in my first post on that other thread.

I can only boot with the Live CD. I can’t even do a restore using F8. Just a black screen with error 22.

Linux Guru
    I would agree with gogalthorp that you have mistakenly overwritten the mbr (master boot record) on your internal drive. So, you can't boot Opensuse but you have the CD, right? Put the Opensuse 10.3 CD in the drive, you should get a screen showing these options:

Boot Hard Drive Installation
    Install with ACPI Disabled
    Install With Local APIC Disabled
    Install With Safe Settings
    Rescue System

Highlight the "Rescue System" entry and hit the 'enter' key. You should get "Rescue Login:", type 'root' here and hit the 'enter' key. Then type 'fdisk -l' and post output. Also, I'm not sure if you typed Fdisk -l in the terminal or just here but command are case sensitive so it needs to be all lower case. This will show partition information so that someone will be able to give you more detailed instructions on getting Grub working (Grub is the bootloader).

Otherwise there is another option. Do you have a vista CD? The instructions below should repair the master boot record. If you are able to do this, you should be ablt to then boot vista. Never used vista myself but these are Microsoft instructions?

To FIX VISTA MBR: Boot up from Vista Installation DVD and select Repair Your Computer option (its below Install Icon). Select Windows Vista -- Command Prompt.
    Execute this at command prompt:
    Code:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast