Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I can log on as root and in the terminal I can type in rkhunter and the option choises appear; but I do not have any idea what to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I can log on as root and in the terminal I can type in rkhunter and the option choises appear; but I do not have any idea what to do next.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I can log on as root and in the terminal I can type in rkhunter and the option choises appear; but I do not have any idea what to do next.
    I assume the root login is a terminal rather than GUI root login ... I know SUSE allows GUI root login but I stopped using it after I realised the potential consequences ...

Post #5 should have given reasonable results eg
    Code:
    rkhunter -c
    You can also try
    Code:
    man rkhunter
    for other options ... but
    Code:
    rkhunter --update
    is a must as well

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I found my problem - I was only putting one space between rkhunter and -c. With two spaces the scan took place. It said for me to inspect /dev/.udevdb ( directory ).
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I found my problem - I was only putting one space between rkhunter and -c. With two spaces the scan took place. It said for me to inspect /dev/.udevdb ( directory ).
    Thats odd ... I only needed
    Code:
    sudo rkhunter -c
    single space ... but I am using Arch.

I am using suse 10. At any rate I think my " problem " is in my windows xp partition.. Every now and then a baloon will pop up at start-up informing me that my computer is at risk because I removed Norton anti-virus and have not updated windows.

When I go on-line using Linux my computer will slow down or freeze up while something is being sent out. Whenever that happens i just unplug the phone cord and run the " repair " program. I thought that it might have been a rootkit.

I looked at the file and it is the script for rootkit hunter.
    Linux user # 414321

Would not have thought anything on Windows would have affected Linux ... you don't have automatic updates set on do you - could be that which is updating

My net connection is via ethernet - so I used to use ethereal to figure out what was being sent & where. I'm not sure what the equivalent for dial-up is ... maybe someone else can chip in with the answer to this one

That way you at least know what is being sent and where it is being sent to ...

Whatever it is it installs itself in the boot loader. A couple of times it started broadcasting when my computer was not on-line at all. I have an old Kerio firewall on my windows xp and have set it now to seek permission for everything. My ISP is a " microsoft promoter so it may even be them.

Heck, it could even be something from the " government " that does not like the stuff on my website. It may be agravating; but the repair program seems to get rid of it.
    Linux user # 414321

Are you running the updater that may cause a periodic attempt at connecting to the web. Also there can be a large amount of data downloaded simply to check to see if you need to update.

I have disabled all of the updates within my windows xp os. This weekend I am going to change the start-up options in windows so that every program is going to require my permission to initiate. I rarely use my scaled down windows os.
    Linux user # 414321

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast