Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by cousinlucky I use a zoom external modem connected to my serial port to access my dial up ISP. Does the black screen that displays Loading stage1...5 Grub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I use a zoom external modem connected to my serial port to access my dial up ISP.

Does the black screen that displays

Loading stage1...5

Grub loading please wait

have a file folder that I can look into?
    Try serial sniffer or something similar to access packets that are being sent - there are examples on sourceforge but try to find something in the official repositories first .

I really don't think the issue is with grub config - you can always just reinstall grub to the MBR using Yast. I think the /boot/grub folder will contain most of what you are after, with which grub reporting /sbin/grub on my Arch setup.

I still think some updater is likely to be trying to access the net - I found the notifier accessed the net ... I also found that realplayer seemed to try to check for updates even after I told it not to

My Verizon phone service ( thus my dial-up ) has been down for two days. Since I could not go on-line I spent an hour or so yesterday playing a couple of games in windows.

My phone service ( full of static ) came back on a little while ago. As soon as my external modem hooked up to the Internet my computer started " phoning home " somewhere and I pulled the phone cord.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I downloaded sisnif-0_4_4 and extracted the file. It appears in my home folder but I can't figure out how to install it.

My windows xp would not operate with the Kerio firewall running so I had to restore it to an earlier time. Microsoft wants my computer back on it's leash but I will never use microsoft on-line again or get any updates.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5