Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I use a zoom external modem connected to my serial port to access my dial up ISP.

Does the black screen that displays

Loading stage1...5

Grub loading please wait

have a file folder that I can look into?
    Try serial sniffer or something similar to access packets that are being sent - there are examples on sourceforge but try to find something in the official repositories first .

I really don't think the issue is with grub config - you can always just reinstall grub to the MBR using Yast. I think the /boot/grub folder will contain most of what you are after, with which grub reporting /sbin/grub on my Arch setup.

I still think some updater is likely to be trying to access the net - I found the notifier accessed the net ... I also found that realplayer seemed to try to check for updates even after I told it not to

My Verizon phone service ( thus my dial-up ) has been down for two days. Since I could not go on-line I spent an hour or so yesterday playing a couple of games in windows.

My phone service ( full of static ) came back on a little while ago. As soon as my external modem hooked up to the Internet my computer started " phoning home " somewhere and I pulled the phone cord.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I downloaded sisnif-0_4_4 and extracted the file. It appears in my home folder but I can't figure out how to install it.

My windows xp would not operate with the Kerio firewall running so I had to restore it to an earlier time. Microsoft wants my computer back on it's leash but I will never use microsoft on-line again or get any updates.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close