Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I downloaded rkhunter 1.2.9 from RPM into my suse 10 os. The files are in my computer but there is no icon to intiate a scan anywhere. My computer indicates ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can not initiate rkhunter 1.2.9

I downloaded rkhunter 1.2.9 from RPM into my suse 10 os. The files are in my computer but there is no icon to intiate a scan anywhere. My computer indicates that all of the dependancies are present. I even found the license and the script file but no initation icon. Can anyone please help me with this? Thank You!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I run rkhunter from the cli ... what do you get if you run rkhunter as root ? I have not tried it in openSUSE but I assume its similar and needs to be run as root. Typing rkhunter at cli as normal user gives permission denied ...

needs to be run as root, from the cli. man rkhunter will give you all the options
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

I know that my computer has a command line interface but I do not know a thing about the correct way to use it. I have only used it once when Hazel walked me through deleting a windows file I had stupidly placed in Linux.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I know that my computer has a command line interface but I do not know a thing about the correct way to use it. I have only used it once when Hazel walked me through deleting a windows file I had stupidly placed in Linux.
    Ctrl+alt+F1 should give you a terminal, login as normal user and use su to gain root rights and run rkhunter eg
    Code:
    su
    rkhunter -c
    That should give reasonable results ...
    When your done type
    Code:
    exit
    exit
    should return to normal user and logout in console, then ctrl+alt+F7 should take you back to GUI.

I don't think sudo is setup in openSUSE by default but su above should work with the default config.

oz
    forum.guy
    I know that my computer has a command line interface but I do not know a thing about the correct way to use it.
    You can check LinuxCommand.org for some good/quick lessons on using the command line under Linux.

You'll be an expert in no time.
    oz

Gentlemen, Thank You!!

I'll get to it first thing in the morning.
    Linux user # 414321

Rkhunter gives a list of oftions that I guess I am supposed to choise from.

the command instructions at Ozar's link say never be foolish enough to use the terminal as root.

I need to go to barnes & noble and see if I can find a book ( command line for dummies )!!
    Linux user # 414321

Believe it or not, the first Linux reference guide I ever picked up was Linux for Dummies. I found it to be very straight forward, concise and easily understandable... which is a good thing cuz I knew nothing about Linux at the time.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Rkhunter gives a list of oftions that I guess I am supposed to choise from.

the command instructions at Ozar's link say never be foolish enough to use the terminal as root.
    Don't run as root is a good general rule ... but rkhunter is a system admin type task ... you need to run as root or sudo. By default I don't think openSUSE has sudo setup hence my suggestion using su to gain root access

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast