Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have set up my printer in local mode, the printer is detected then when I do a print the job window shows the job as printing then the action ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Printer not printing with Suse 11.0

I have set up my printer in local mode, the printer is detected then when I do a print the job window shows the job as printing then the action disappears as if it has been accepted. But nothing appears at the printer. The printer works OK in Windows XP. The printer is on USB with a parallel socket at the printer end. It all worked fine on 10.0. The difference is that I am using 11.0 obtained with the Linux 11.0 Bible, whereas the 10.0 was from the boxed version. Should this make any problems. The print information is going somewhere but not to the Printer. Anyone have ideas what is happening. My Printer is a Canon BJC4200.
    Regards
    Colin Cunnew

Linux User
    Have you set up the printer through Yast2, printers. If so, it should work.

oz
    forum.guy
    If the Yast setup method fails for any reason, try setting it up directly through the CUPS interface by opening your web browser and entering localhost:631 into the location bar.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If the Yast setup method fails for any reason, try setting it up directly through the CUPS interface by opening your web browser and entering localhost:631 into the location bar.
    Thanks ozar,
    I managed to set up a printer in CUPS as you suggest, but I am still not able to print because it does not recognise the printer name I give it. So I think I must somehow have the wrong info in one of the fields that have to be set up. I have copied an article from Suse data base called CUPS which I intend to study to see if I can work out what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks again, at least I am now feel I am getting somewhere.
    Have a Great Christmas.
    colcunnew

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Have you set up the printer through Yast2, printers. If so, it should work.
    Thanks whych,
    Yes I set up the printer in local mode with Yast2 as you suggested but it responded in the way I described in my post by going through the motions but not actually printing.
    Thanks for replying,
    Have a Merry Christmas
    colcunnew