Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a problem with my openSUSE installation. I tried to upgrade (from openSUSE 11) by manually changing all repositories to 11.1 ones. The upgrade process went smoothly except ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't boot after upgrading to 11.1RC1 - /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-4-pae/modules.dep error

Hello, I have a problem with my openSUSE installation.

I tried to upgrade (from openSUSE 11) by manually changing all repositories to 11.1 ones. The upgrade process went smoothly except a kvm related package which failed to upgrade (but I suspect shouldn't be that critical).

After the reboot though, when the kernel is loading, it shows something like
    waiting for device /dev/disk/by-id/SATA(root id) to appear..... not found.
    At that point it shows a [Y/n] decision about whether to skip the problem (or sth like that) but the keyboard is not responsive (even the Caps lock or F-lock keys do not change any LEDs).

So, I suspect that some modules are not loaded. But as for which and why (and most importantly, how I can fix it) I am at a loss.

So, if anybody has any ideas about that... PLEASE reply.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I must be blind or something. Right above the previous line, there was the source error:
    FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-4-pae/modules.dep: File does not exist.

But as I can see, the file DOES exist! Any suggestions?

Reinstall the older system then download and install 11.1 correctly.

When you install do a full install and tell the installer not to format the partition that contains the /home directory when you come to the partition scheme. Sust be sure it is mounted as /home. Also be sure that the current root partition is correct and marked to be reformatted. This will preserve your settings and personal data.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Reinstall the older system then download and install 11.1 correctly.

When you install do a full install and tell the installer not to format the partition that contains the /home directory when you come to the partition scheme. Sust be sure it is mounted as /home. Also be sure that the current root partition is correct and marked to be reformatted. This will preserve your settings and personal data.
    Thank you for the response, but I solved the problem finally. Turns out a kernel package wasn't properly installed, so the initrd wasn't good and thus the problems.

If someone gets bit by that too:
    Download the kernel rpms somewhere
    From a live or installation CD/DVD go to a root console
    Mount your root partition and bind /proc /dev and /sys there
    Mount the partition with the rpms and copy them to the mounted root partition
    chroot into the root partition
    rpm -qa | grep kernel and remove any kernel packages
    rpm -i kernel-packages-you-downloaded

Something like that.
    Again though, thanks for the reply gogalthorp!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close