Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is dualboot possible(single sata disc)? I remember something about Vista messing up the dual boot system, when it intially came out. I haven't used Linux in a while either. Thanks, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Vista Ultimate and openSUSE 11.1

Is dualboot possible(single sata disc)? I remember something about Vista messing up the dual boot system, when it intially came out. I haven't used Linux in a while either.

Thanks,
    Ali

Installing any Windows OS will mess up the Linux boot and you would have to repair grub to multi-boot again.

That's why I only run Microsoft products in a Virtual Machine.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for not being clear. I have Vista installed already. I'm going to be installing openSUSE. Would that work?

Linux Guru
    Generally, installing opensuse or any Linux distro, the installer will detect your windows partition and put an entry in the Grub bootloader menu.lst file so you will get the option to boot either system. It would probably be a good idea to load the opensuse install CD and,before trying to install, open a terminal/konsole and run the fdisk -l command to see your partition structure so that you do not over write your windows installation. Make sure you do not select the option to use the entire disk during install.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home